The fact that the gay man is the son of legendary NBA player, Magic Johnson . He is an openly gay man who champions the rights and freedoms of the LGBTQ+ community. The son of an autoworker, Johnson earned his nickname "Magic" in high school for his creative and entertaining ballhandling. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Already a trailblazer who's been challenging long-standing gender stereotypes when it comes to his attire, EJ was considering launching his own fashion collection back in 2017, according to The New York Times. "My ignorance could cost me my life, but I wanted to try and ensure that no one else would become infected with HIV for the same reason" Johnson wrote in Sports Illustrated (opens in new tab) on November 18, 1991. He pressed a finger to a small, pinkish hole on his thigh that was developing into a scab. Celebrities often grow accustomed to having their privacy invaded by paparazzi. But being a fashion icon on the making has not to stop EJ from being a loving family guy with his parents and siblings. He lived up to that promise by making regular appearances, giving interviews and being an activist for HIV and AIDS organisations. What You Don't Know About Magic Johnson's Son EJ, Caitlyn Jenner infamously debuted her transition on the cover of Vanity Fair, reality series followed the eponymous star, Louis Vuitton using Will Smith's son, Jaden Smith, in its women's line ads. Public and private medical insurance, as well as various assistance programs, make the medicines more affordable and available to the vast majority of patients in the United States and other parts of the world. xhr.open('POST', 'https://www.google-analytics.com/collect', true); According to Magic's comments at that press conference, Cookie threatened to leave him if he tried to return for more than one season. Magic Johnson abruptly quit as the Los Angeles Lakers' president of basketball operations earlier this month, and now, according to reports, it's because management sent emails criticizing . "It wasn't how he got it that was important to me. Michael Johnson, son of TNT sportscaster Ernie "E.J." Johnson, has died, his father said on social media Friday night. Yet it was his charisma, especially at his precocious age, that floored. He retired from the Los Angeles Lakers in 1991 after revealing that he had tested positive for. This past May, Magic shared photos of his family celebrating the launch of Elisa's brand. In the photos, he is elegantly posing next to a pool wearing a blue mini-dress that fits him just right. What's the real deal with EJ Johnson? In 1991, the 13-season Los Angeles Lakers star married his wife, Cookie, who gave birth to their son EJ Johnson soon after. is amazing, he added. "Rich Kids of Beverly Hills"was simultaneously canceled. As it turns out, he was planning on publicly revealing his sexuality anyway. Michael Jordan Once Rejected an Epic $1 Million 1-on-1 Matchup Against Magic Johnson. The year was 2010, and scarves were in. He played on the 1992 NBA All-Star Team as well as the "Dream Team" at the Olympics. Cookie Johnson was worried about Magic, but supportive. These and other HIV-fighting drugs are "hideously expensive," said Lieb. It's just business as usual and that business is his family. https://t.co/RQM9OCSd77. Ive never done anything on television that is this honest and real, he shared in an Instagram post promoting the segment. The rise of the Los Angeles Lakers from years of a title drought was helped in big part by them drafting Earvin "Magic" Johnson in 1979. As for Louis Vuitton using Will Smith's son, Jaden Smith, in its women's line adsthe previous year, EJ claimed,"If you're going to do it, I think you should go with somebody who's actually doing it because they genuinely get it as opposed to somebody who just has a name and was doing it just to be out there." The actor's personal life has made headlines as well. A New York Times review of the show referred to EJ as the most likeable character on the show. Earlier this year, Magic and Cookie Johnson's 20-year-old son, EJ, caused a stir when TMZ videotaped him walking down Sunset Boulevard holding hands with a male friend. EJ Johnson was born to his famous parents on June 4, 1992, in Beverly Hills, California. In 2014, he joined the Rich Kids of Beverly Hills, a reality series following lives of some of the richest kids. ". He also shared some insight into his diet and exercise routine. Unlike other former professional athletes' kids who have followed in their footsteps onto the court or field, Magic Johnson's children have all forged their own paths. They have a son, EJ, and in 1995, they adopted a girl, Elisa. On this Nov. 7, legendary Lakers point guard Earvin Magic Johnson stunned the entire world when he announced that he had contracted the HIV virus, and would be retiring from NBA immediately. From massive pop hits to classic R&B ballads, you can count on these numerical tracks. They cant tell you that youre not at risk, and you cant tell me theres one guy in the N.B.A. Please disable your ad blocker to view the video content. "I was told not to say anything about him kissing me, but he did. "I read a story where you went to him and said . 12:46 pm ET, Bucks vs. 76ers odds, picks, computer sims, Morant to miss 'at least' two games after IG post, NBA DFS picks, lineups, advice, March 4 strategy, Grizzlies' Clarke out for season with Achilles injury, Raptors vs. Wizards odds, picks, computer sims, Streaking Warriors must overcome one major roadblock, Magic Johnson opens up on 30 years with HIV, Window for Durant, Suns is open -- until it's not, Morant to miss two games after video with gun, Nuggets beat Grizz, likely lock up West's top spot, Randle's game-winner runs Knicks' win streak to eight, Celtics booed off floor after blowing 28-point lead. He has previously worked as Editor of video game magazines games and X-ONE and tech magazines iCreate and Apps. This also resulted in a good deal of skepticism from some of Johnsons peers. In 1991, Cookie was pregnant with EJ when Magic announced to the world that he was HIV positive. AmoMama creates engaging, meaningful content for women. When you're close with your siblings, you don't ever really consider that one day you might be competing for boyfriends. (Photo: Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images) "It. When TMZ featured EJ Johnsons boyfriend, some were surprised to learn that he is gay. During the conversation, EJ, who came out as gay in . I feel like this is the body Im supposed to be in. "Thank you for teaching us how to be people of action, not words, and to always be a blessing to those around you," Andre wrote in the caption. "I thought about it, for sure," he said (via Us Weekly). In the series, his relationship with his youngest son, EJ, is explored. See Magic Johnson's Three Children All Grown Up Today, See Shaquille O'Neal's Daughter Amirah, Who's an NCAA Basketball Star, See Michael Jordan's Three Oldest Kids All Grown Up, eyewear was designed by the youngest Johnson, See LeBron James' 16-Year-Old Son, Who's Already a Basketball Star, See Charles Barkley's Only Daughter All Grown Up. scientific studies and medical journals. Although Johnson reacted at first, he talked to his son the next day and at that moment, they knew everything was going to be fine between them. ', It all goes down Tomorrow night ! Old Lady Adopts Lost Little Boy with Note in His Pocket, His Mother Returns after 13 Years Story of the Day, Man Kicks His 60-Year-Old Wife Out of the House after Learning Shes Pregnant with Triplets Story of the Day, Wanting to Be a Lifeguard Like Late Dad, Boy Saves Drowning Girl & Gets a Box from Her Mom Later Story of the Day, Mark Wahlberg Wants to Devote More Time to Parenting in Private & Asks Record $87.5M for His LA Mansion, Woman Takes Bullet for Strangers Son, His Dad Attends Funeral and Meets 9 Crying Kids There Story of the Day, Every Day Woman Sees Old Man with Boy on the Shore, Once They Dont Show Up and She Gets Worried Story of the Day, Young Man Who Never Knew His Parents Pushes Father Away, Learns about His Will Months Later Story of the Day, Woman Divorces Husband of 36 Years after Their Only Son Finds Out He Has a Brother Story of the Day, Eric Christian Olsen Was Mean to Wife When They Met - She Was Not Impressed by Him Either, Stepson Mocked by Adoptive Parents & Their Children Finds Letters They Hid from Him Story of the Day, Man Can't Become a Dad for Years, Refuses to Adopt until He Sees the Kid from His Childhood Vision, Old Man Finds Kid in Cold Forest and Learns She Is His Granddaughter He Never Knew About Story of the Day, Grandparents Kick Pregnant Teen Out in the Cold, Years Later They Ask For Her Help Story of the Day, Man Follows Wife Who Sneaks Out Every Night and Catches Her Visiting a Huge Mansion Story of the Day. On that autumn day, Johnson announced he had HIV. Also joining them were Cookie's mom, sister, and their nephew. In the past, EJ has consistently nabbed headlines for his unapologetic sense of fashion and candid attitude, whether he's speaking about the realities of LGBTQ+ adults or sparring with his sister, Elisa Johnson, on screen. Despite the stunning realization that Magic Johnson would no longer be taking the court, the league did give him one of the more memorable sendoffs in recent sports history. RELATED:See LeBron James' 16-Year-Old Son, Who's Already a Basketball Star. He was given the nickname by a sports writer who had just seen the 15-year-old prepster notch 36 points, 16 rebounds. According to E! "High ART costs are among many structural barriers that lead to poor treatment access and adherence, contributing to suboptimal HIV outcomes in the United States," according to a report published by JAMA Internal Medicine (opens in new tab) in 2020. Jennifer Lopez, Magic Johnsons Son Rump Shake in San Tropez https://t.co/ZAaXbYEnks pic.twitter.com/djPolv14Wz, ? RELATED:See Charles Barkley's Only Daughter All Grown Up. Find out why exercise can be important to mental health too. Here [in the United States] I do not experience that much racism, I feel like that's probably more prevalent before I was born.". The name stuck despite Magic's mother's distaste for it. Next, meet the MVP in Michael Jordans life, his wife Yvette Prieto. The star revealed he was "almost 100 percent positive" that a transition was out of the cards. I also said I was going to beat the disease. And I will," Johnson wrote. While Johnson can now attest to 30 years of life after being diagnosed with HIV, his journey living with the disease has been far from easy. "This guy we adopted from Romania in 1991 and diagnosed with. Its still the toughest thing Ive ever had to do in my life: @MagicJohnson says that he hated having to tell his wife about his HIV diagnosis. He said on an interview: I guess youre just floating in the spectrum, youre not really defined by any gender confines if you will, Im just EJ.. According to a 2021 profile of Magic, his mother, a devout Christian, felt the nickname was "blasphemous.". 's "Rich Kids of Beverly Hills" during his junior year. Johnson attended New York University, studying hospitality with a focus on event planning and design. Upon graduation, he worked in A&R for five years at Elektra Entertainment with artists like Jay Z, Missy Elliott, and Gwen Stefani. His full name is Earvin Johnson III, but he goes by EJ professionally. Johnson Reveals 100+ Weight Loss on Good Day NY! A video surfaced on Twitter of Lopez and EJ Johnson getting their dance on to Teena Maries Square Biz while at his Magic Johnsons 60th Birthday party in Saint Tropez. About a year later, EJ had a similar heart-to-heart chat with his father. EJ said the reaction to his sexuality varied from positive to extremely harsh, but it doesn't look like he gave his haters too much attention. "I told her how I was feeling and she obviously told me that she had known and always would love me anyway," he said during an interview with "Gwissues" host Howard Bragman (via ESPN). Oh, snap. He also hosts his own podcast, Please Elaborate, where he talks about current events, sports, gaming and more with his friend Mike Dupree. Reality TV star E.J. We adhere to structured guidelines for sourcing information and linking to other resources, including "I always say that if you feel like you're not in the right body, then by all means get to where you want to be. All Rights Reserved. "I was just like, 'Well, do I want to transition? The transformed, soon-to-be NYU grad and son of Magic Johnson showed off his new look on Good Day New York. I'm just very comfortable in my own skin. However, EJ had already discussed his sexual orientation with his family. At the time, HIV/AIDS was widely associated with death at a young age, so for many people this outcome might have seemed impossible. The HIV-AIDS epidemic began in earnest in the 1980s, but there was still very little knowledge as to how the disease was contracted or what it meant in terms of contagiousness and long-term impact. In 2013, EJ was outed by TMZ. Its all about you not trying to decide what your daughter or son should be or what you want them to become, Magic Johnson told Ellen DeGeneres on the Ellen Show. Go do my, Magic Johnson Discusses His Son's Coming Out. EJ Johnson's sexuality might've surprised the media, but it didn't surprise his parents. Sometimes it's hard being in the middle, kind of in the gray area in my own lane." EJ ultimately decided to come out before beginning college at New York University (NYU). HIV and AIDS are not the only conditions we're still looking to cure. navigator.sendBeacon('https://www.google-analytics.com/collect', payload); I get these every night, every game, he said. When he spoke to The New York Times about the incident in 2017, he noted that TMZ reached out to his father for a comment on the photos of his son holding hands with another young man. Today, two of the six original Magic Johnson-branded theaters remain open, in Harlem in New York City and suburban Washington, D.C., though he doesn't own either of them. 2. Andre also shows a lot of love for his dad on social media, as well. EJs mom said that her husband was worried about his son living his life in a world that would not understand him. at that point. News, The "#RichKids of Beverly Hills" alum opens up about the type of men he's attracted to, his father Magic Johnson and his late friend Lyric McHenry. But today, thanks to advancements in antiretroviral drugs, the life expectancy (opens in new tab) of a young person diagnosed with HIV is not dissimilar from that of a similarly aged person without HIV, according to Healthline (opens in new tab). Were getting a closer look into the life and career of NBA legend Magic Johnson with They Call Me Magic streaming on Apple TV+. And we love him. He was cast in the first season of E! document.addEventListener( 'DOMContentLoaded', function() { appreciated. "Scarves were really big for men's fashion," EJ explained. He is a television personality, socialite and actor. Medication can disrupt these processes, and to that end, Johnson is currently taking reverse transcriptase inhibitor and protease inhibitor drugs, which are contained in the pharmaceuticals Trizivir and Kaletra, respectively, according to the Daily Beast. NBA legend Magic Johnsons son, EJ Johnson, is on his way of becoming a fashion icon as well as a voice for the transgender community. After protests from his fellow players, he retired again for four years, but returned in 1996, at age 36, to play 32 games for the Lakers before retiring for the third and final time. News' recap, EJ urged his sister to call it quits with Alcaraz, and it looks like she eventually heeded his advice. He also questioned if EJ was sure he knew what he was saying. He did have a fashion blog, but it no longer exists. Im very happy with myself. In 2016, he starred on his own short-lived E! Updated 2:38 PM EDT, Sat October 30, 2021. His son EJ was born shortly, making headlines before he was even born. News and hosting other shows. According to Celebrity Net Worth, EJ Johnson has an estimated $5 million net worth. The most common drugs in the ART regimen target two of the enzymes that HIV uses to replicate itself. As I grew older, as my wife talked to me, I couldnt [judge EJ]. According to the New York Times, EJ Johnson has been open about his sexuality and perspective on gender over the past few years. The virus was a lot scarier at the time. Story highlights. Magic, 63, says his son, whom he shares with his wife Cookie Johnson, "is so beloved all over the world" as a television personality and as an icon for the LGBTQ+ community. A subset of integrated HIV provirus remains transcriptionally silent, producing neither viral proteins nor viral progeny, until reactivation by various physiologic stimuli. ': What Happened to the Stars of the Iconic Series through the Years, Dwyane Wade's Trans Daughter Knew Her Gender Identity at 3 & Revealed Her Boyfriend at 14 Inside Zaya's Life, Millionaire's Son Kicks Wife and Baby Out into the Cold, Loses His Inheritance the Next Day Story of the Day, Twins Send Dad to Nursing Home, Learn He Left Inheritance to Janitor Who Is Their Carbon Copy Story of the Day. Johnson and his wife Cookie Johnson tied the knot in 1991, one year before the Los Angeles Lakers player retired. The familys love, faith and commitment to one another will forever be an inspiration to us. He is responsible for directing the statewide Florida HIV/AIDS Research Consortium, whose HIV researchers have been responsible for more than 400 scientific studies. One of Johnson's doctors who helped pioneer the treatment placed him on the then-experimental drug cocktail in 1994, about a year and a half before it came into widespread use in 1996, according to the Daily Beast (opens in new tab). AboutPressCopyrightContact. In honor of Father's Day last year, he posted a photo of Magic, Cookie, Gigi, and Andre, along with a heartfelt tribute. Rather than deny the existence of his boyfriend, the then-20-year-old star rolled with the punches. Maybe you've heard about him on the internet or in a tabloid headline. The first enzyme, called reverse transcriptase, turns the virus' genetic instructions encoded in a single RNA strand into double-stranded DNA. "The man that led me on is now hooking up with my sister, and I'm supposed to be OK with it.". During that same 2016 episode of "EJNYC," the reality star told his therapist that the cover story made him consider transitioning. While Johnson can now attest to 30 years of life after being diagnosed with HIV, his journey living with the disease has been far from easy. Immediately after learning of the talented 63-year-old basketball player's passing, hundreds of fans began posting condolence notes on the Facebook page. Magic Johnson has been living with HIV for nearly 0 years and thanks to advances in medical science the disease is now more manageable than it was when he first revealed his diagnosis. spinoff, EJNYC, which followed his life as he moved to New York City. section: | slug: magic-johnson-opens-up-on-living-with-hiv-30-years-after-his-diagnosis | sport: basketball | route: article_single.us | Im almost 100 percent positive I wont. "I really think it's important that you not listen to so many fads; you really need to find what works for you," the "EJNYC" star explained, going on to note, "But that doesn't mean you're done after that because you don't like what's hot. Theres so many factors. Magic Johnson was invited to participate as a member of the Western Conference during the 1992 All-Star Game, winning the MVP after scoring 25 points and adding nine assists in a feel-good performance. As it turns out, EJ Johnson and his younger sister, Elisa Johnson, have the same type so much so that she started dating his pseudo-ex in 2016. Despite new advances in medical science HIV remains incurable thanks to "the presence of a latent viral reservoir. I like my body. "Feeling all the elation feels today," EJ wrote on Instagram, sharing the news that he'd voice Michael Collins. In addition to EJ, the Johnsons adopted Elisa Johnson when she was three days old in 1995. So, if you're wondering what exactly happened back then, we've got you covered. His boardroom pitch wasn't enough to win Schultz over, so he . I'm very happy with myself," he said during an appearance on E! He also hosts his own podcast, Please Elaborate, where he talks about current events, entertainment, sports and gaming with his friend Mike Dupree. According to the Associated Press, EJ Johnson attended New York University with an event management and design major while minoring in fashion, journalism, and media. There was one drug then, now we have 30-something drugs.". var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest(); News' "Just the Sip" in 2019 (via People). Earvin "EJ" Johnson III is the son of NBA Hall of famer and Los Angeles Lakers legendary point guard, Earvin "Magic" Johnson, a five-time NBA Champion, entrepreneur and Earletha "Cookie". Magic even posted on social media how proud he was of EJs new role. Now, Johnson has never been shy about his gender-defying sense of fashion. Magic Johnson is one of the most iconic athletes and NBA players in basketball history. In 2017, EJ Johnson got candid with The New York Times about his sports star father's very public journey with HIV, which began when EJ's mother was two months pregnant with him. News), EJ said, "Whether it's the African-American community, or in my case, the gay community, it's important to make sure that we represent those communities in a positive way. Andre, EJ, and Elisa have taken on very different career paths. However, Magic revealed in that press conference that his biggest fan was less than thrilled. Johnson confessed in an interview: I think it's all about you not trying to decide what your daughter or son should be or what you want them to become. Andre Johnson is a businessman, podcaster, and proud father of two. The tabloid posted a video of the star holding hands with a man named Alessandro Monetti.. EJ was a guest host on Fashion Police and has filledin on E! All Rights Reserved. Mental health continues to be a field that we hope to understand and appreciate more. Johnson says he was sitting in a hotel in Utah, getting ready for an exhibition game when he got the call. The tabloid posted a video of the star holding hands with a man named Alessandro Monetti. HIV spreads by hijacking a subset of white blood cells called CD4 cells or T cells, which are the body's first line of defense against foreign invaders, and using the cells' DNA to make copies of itself or replicate; in this process, these T cells get destroyed, according to Healthline (opens in new tab). Magic Johnson's Son Was the Executive Vice President of His Company Andre Johnson graduated in 1999 from Santa Monica College with a degree in Business Management. If one thing's for sure, it's that he's got all the makings of a star, but he's forging his own path away from his father's fame. Originally published on Live Science on 04 March 2022 and updated on 24 August 2022. } This guy we adopted from Romania in 1991 and diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy lived a miraculous life of 33 years, the TNT anchor said in an Instagram post that included a photo of Michael. This is a gradual process known as the HIV life cycle and it is by blocking the virus at each stage of this process that it can be prevented from advancing to AIDS. "When my son came out, I was so happy for him and happy for us as parents," the former basketball player said. } Besides recognizing himself as a gender-fluid person, he has also been known for enjoying his lavish way of living. "The key moment was when Cookie took the test and the results came back that her and the baby was fine [sic]," the retired NBA star told Gayle King. In 2017, rumors began to circulate about a possible romantic relationship between EJ and Christopher Milan, a former Love & Hip Hop Hollywood star. Since EJ Johnsons sexual orientation has become public, his famous father has appeared in interviews speaking out about the importance of embracing children for who they are. This was the first time he was out in public as gay. Magic Johnson is one proud father to his son Earvin "EJ" Johnson. According to research and estimates by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (opens in new tab), as of 2019 about 1.18 million Americans have HIV, and 13 percent of them are undiagnosed. Turner Sports, in a statement posted on social media, said: We are heartbroken over the passing of Cheryl and Ernies beloved son, Michael, a true hero who uplifted and brought joy to everyone he touched. However, neither of them confirmed or denied the relationship. Indeed, Magic made one more brief comeback with the Purple and Gold during the 1995-96 season, and he has served in a variety of roles for the Lakers ever since. But while Jordan and the Bulls began the year healthy and optimistic, the Los Angeles Lakerswho were the Western Conference representatives in the 1991 NBA Finalswere about to be blindsided. By taking the right regimen every day, most people living with HIV can see the number of virus particles in a sample of their blood, or viral load, become undetectably low. ESPN's Chris Fowler spoke over a video montage . In the photos, EJ Johnson looks confident in an outfit that captures his fashion-forward personality. How and When Did Magic Johnson Contract HIV? "I say dance around in your closet when no one is looking until the time is right," he toldBET, advising readers to "just make sure you're safe." More from Magic Johnsons Interview and Chat with the Ellen Show below: Its all about loving them no matter who they are, what they decide to do, Magic Johnson told Ellen. "I've always loved being in front of people, being on stage and performing. Our deepest condolences are with Cheryl, Ernie and their family, friends and loved ones as we mourn with them, the statement read. Magic actually launched a comeback attempt prior to the 1992-93 season, but fears resurfaced when he took the floor. I never really thought it was under investigation. The youngest of the group, Elisa, was adopted by the Johnsons in 1995 when she was just three days old. Magic recalls their first meeting some 20 years ago as a moment that further focused his commitment to HIV/AIDS awareness : "Hydeia means the world to me," Johnson said. How Magic Johnson Messed Up When His Son Came Out In 2013, a TMZ photographer captured a photo of EJ Johnson walking on the Sunset Strip while holding hands with his boyfriend at the time. Michael, who suffered . These "long-term nonprogressors" or "elite controllers," estimated at as few as one in 500, have lived for decades with HIV, despite not being on antiretroviral therapy. "And what came out of the physical was, 'You have HIV.'". "I never thought that I'd look this good, and that is the God's honest truth. In 2015, EJ lost over 100 pounds and had surgery to remove excess weight. America's Favorite Gay Newsman: Openly Gay Anderson Cooper Split With Restauranter Partner; Boyfriend Still Family. ", Elisa ultimately decided not to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. From the highlights from Magics career, but the evolution of Johnson as a person including his role as a husband and father. As of this writing in 2022, EJ has not launched his own fashion line, but we're certainly keeping an eye out for it. EJ has appeared in multiple TV shows such as Rich Kids of Beverly Hills, EJNYC, Real Husbands of Hollywood, and most recently The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder. "It was hard because I loved her so much and I hated to hurt her," Magic Johnson said. They claimed the pair were an official item. Presenting your official soundtrack to falling (or staying) in love. Early Childhood and Education. Magic Johnson was on hand to celebrate his son EJ Johnson's milestone birthday over the weekend. Cookie said, Look in the mirror. I said, Youre right. Because Im proud of who I am. We lost michael johnson today and were crushed. Everyone expected his life to suffer after his diagnosis. Youve got to support your child. EJ went on to say, "Now, since everybody's talking about Caitlyn Jenner and being transgender, people are so quick to say, 'Oh, just because you're dressing like that means that you're going to transition to become a woman.'". Admit it, these tracks are so good, you actually thought they were originals. That was a very, very hard thing for me. To see what Magic Johnson's three children are up to and to learn more about the tight-knit Johnson family, read on.
Hamilton Home Builders Lynn Alabama, Princess Cruise Login, Articles W