It is purely a big-game hunting cartridge that utilizes .338-inch bullets. Is it affordable? Nosler Pro Staff; Sponsored Shooters; Project 48; Employment; Nosler Dealers. I was wondering about the average weight you listed for 308 Winchester , 202 gr ? Choosing the correct .30 caliber in the end must come down to the shooter's preferences and own set of rules. It doesn\\\t seem to follow the order of operations for math. The greater velocity and energy of the .28 Nosler also make it a flatter shooting cartridge than the .308 Winchester. Unfortunately, the 30 Nosler has the same design limitations as the 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM, and the 300 Weatherby. Although we strive to provide the most accurate information as we can the information contained in this page is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness. This efficient new cartridge rivals the velocity and energy of the proven .338 Lapua Magnum while using significantly less powder. After surveying the Backfire audience, we found that 96% of shots on big game are taken within 500 yards. The sharp, 35-degree shoulder and fat case offer a lot of room for propellant, and the maximum cartridge overall length (COL) of 3.34 inches means it will fit in a standard .30-06-length action. Note the shoulder datum differences between the .26 and .28 compared to the .30 and .33. Rated 4.50 out of 5 $ 41.99 - $ 152.42 Select options; Hornady Brass Unprimed 376 Steyr (50) Rated 5.00 out of 5 $ 76.99 Add to cart; . Out of the muzzle, the .28 Nosler is traveling with 955 ft-lbs over the .308 Winchester a significant difference. Great job Jim! Handloaders can simply put less powder in the cartridge, but even those who purchase factory ammunition can often find reduced recoil loads which can reduce the recoil by approximately 10%. Jim Harmer is a host of the Backfire Youtube channel. With the recoil data, I opted for 6.5 creedmoor as one my wife could be able to use comfortably to protect her animals from predators. After that, the .308 Winchester starts to leave its effective range, while the .28 Nosler is still flying with significant energy. A Nosler Model 48 Patriot with a Leupold VX-6 2-12x 42mm scope was used to test the new .33 Nosler cartridge. Ive carried a BLR lightweight pistol grip takedown in the 450 Marlin for years. When firing a 9.7g (150gr) AccuBond Long Range bullet from a rifle with a 660mm (26in) barrel, the .27 Nosler has an approximately 120m/s (400ft/s) advantage over the .270 Winchester, about a 90m/s (300ft/s) advantage over the .270 WSM, and about a 3046m/s (100150ft/s) velocity advantage over the .270 Weatherby. The name .26 Nosler refers to the first two digits in the caliber (0.264in; 6.7mm) of the bullets that the cartridge fires and the name of the company which created it. For example; if you have a .300 Win Mag, you would select a 7.62/.308 muzzle device. Like other Nosler cartridges, the case is based loosely on the beltless .404 Jeffery case, which offers magnum capacity and performance. As yet, no one offers a 250 grain AccuBond in factory ammo for the 33 Nosler, and it would have scored closer to the .338 RUM with a 250. and even bests the .340 Wby. For the next 20 rounds, it was cleaned after every five shots. It generates 21.34 ft-lbs of energy at 12.55 fps. With premium hunting bullets, they will completely penetrate a large Alaskan brown bear, moose and other large game, including Cape buffalo (where legal and as demonstrated by my old friend, the late Bill Jordan). It is capable of firing bullets weighing up to 160 grains at velocities of up to 3300 feet per second. Now that truck creeps forward and pushes your shoulder at a speed of 2 inches per second. Why not offer Patreon support since YouTube demonetized your channel? Its nice to have an updated chart with modern calibers! Appreciate the podcast. Furthermore, the muzzle energy of a .300 WSM Winchester Short Magnum round averages out to 3580 ft-lb, while a .308 Winchester round averages out to about 2620 ft-lb. I hunted sheep in Alaska this fall and Ill admit that my little Kimber .308 felt pretty small when we were stepping over grizzly tracks in the alder-choked river bottoms. I watched a video of another hunter in camp who shot a bull with a 225-grain Accubond and it dropped so fast it looked like it had been struck by lightning. Factory .33 Nosler ammunition loaded with 225-grain AccuBond bullets measures 3.324 inches, which allows it to function in standard .30-06 length actions. This is fascinating. [16] Thanks Jim. Due to its efficient case design, including a shorter powder column and 35-degree shoulder, and careful selection of powders to optimize velocities, it burns around 18 percent less powder than the .338 Lapua Magnum while achieving similar velocities. X-Vision Optics long-range ImpactThermal Scope (TS300) boasts a 640 x 480 thermal sensor that can detect big game well past 3,000 yards. Is there a formula for it? The RUM and Nosler do seem to shine a bit more in the lighter weight bullets . I have no idea where you sourced all of this information but, this is very impressive and extremely helpful. The match-grade, stainless steel barrel is button rifled, hand-lapped and free-floated. That being said, the two cartridges are very similar and whether felt recoil is more in one cartridge or the other is more about rifle design than cartridge design. Introduced in 2016 (production release 2017), the .33 Nosler is a SAAMI approved and standardized cartridge. Both advertise ve. It means that we have a rifle that more or less mimics the flat trajectory of the .270 Win. The shoulder is set back slightly compared to the 5.56 cartridge to prevent accidentally chambering a 5.56 cartridge in a .22 Nosler rifle. Jim, so much work is summarized in what you have built. I want this to be perfect. So, what does that mean in the real world? This also shortens bolt travel and usually results in a lighter rifle. As you read through the table, remember you can pick a much heavier-hitting cartridge if youll be using a muzzle device. It too was designed to function in .30-06 length (3.340-inch) actions. Here are a couple of Cartridges that would make for some Interesting Videos in the Future . If you cant manage the additional recoil of the .28 Nosler, its higher energy wont really help you make long-range big game shots. The 33 shares the same parent case (404 Jeffery) as the rest of the family but fires .338 caliber bullets for the toughest of big game. Your YouTube video used a 500 yard range in selecting the lightest recoiling cartridges for deer and elk. 10. Hopefully youll include an Old Redfield Widefield Scope to the mix . Greatly appreciate not only your brain of knowledge but more so, your heart of sharing. Thats why we are using more objective stats such as free recoil energy and velocity. The bullet looks like it came out of an advertisement and retained 223.8 grains of its weight, which must mean that the polymer tip weighed 1.2 grains. This can reduce the recoil between 20% and 50% depending on the size and effectiveness of the brake. The guide thanked me for doing the spotting, then stated, And that is why we use .338s in Alaska. If you are a serious elk hunter, the .33 Nosler would be hard to beat. I am looking at expanding my rifle collection and this info is so helpful. I do agree that people wont keep their own rules when their personal trophy walks into view at an unreasonable range for what they are toting. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Remington Model 700 American Hunter Rifle Project, Nosler Introduces New Hunting Loads in 6.5 Creedmoor, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Video: Premium Versus Lower-Cost Defensive Ammunition | NRA Family, Winchester Awarded $9 Million Tracer Ammo Contract | An Official Journal Of The NRA, How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope, First Look: Blocker Outdoors Finisher Accessories, 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New For 2023: Smith & Wesson M&P FPC | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Women | Understanding Sectional Density (SD), 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Riton Optics Celebrates 10th Anniversary | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. It also prevents cross-caliber chambering. Their most noted included the .333 O.K.H. How can we calculate wind drift for these calibers? This makes it tough to figure out the recoil of a rifle unless you look up a lot of other information first. When selecting a caliber for one of our muzzle devices, the correct choice is based on your cartridge's actual bullet diameter. Add a bit of stock bulk and weight to soak up some of that recoil. The shot rocked him; he was dead on his feet. In 2014 Nosler introduced the flat-shooting .26 Nosler, following it up in 2015 with the .28 Nosler (7mm) that was based on the .26 case but necked accordingly. Also, how hard would it be to add a 12 and 20 gauge sabot slug to the work? 7mm Weatherby created around the 1940's, 7mm RUM created in 2001 approx. The 7mm Remington Mag generates significant recoil of 22.15 ft-lbs at 13.32 fps. The top of the Nosler's receiver is drilled and tapped with Remington Model 700-pattern hole spacing. Size Comparison. Thank you for pointing it out. 338 federal 338-06 338-06 ack 338 win mag 33 nosler 338 rem ultra mag 340 wby mag. Thats the way we should feel about humanely taking deer. If you send me your email, I can send you some screenshots. . 11.5mm. Hope yall enjoy it! We found a flat spot on the hillside and I built a rock-steady rest in the seated position with a set of folding sticks under the rifles forend and my daypack wedged under my armpit. Mag. How does it compare to a 130 grain 6.5 Creedmore cartridge? Whereas the 7mm RUM case measures 60.6mm (2.387in) long from head to body-shoulder juncture, that dimension on the .28 Nosler case is 55.0mm (2.166in). It would seem like you could get away with even less gun if you limited your shots to closer in. Introduced in 2016 (production release 2017), the .33 Nosler . During the spring conservation order, you can hunt with outfitters from Arkansas to Saskatchewan. Nosler M48 Patriot 308 $ OUT OF STOCK. The.243 Winchesters recoil produces 9.22 ft-lbs of energy at a recoil velocity of 8.48 fps. Keep in mind that attaching a muzzle brake reduces the free recoil energy by about 40% and attaching a suppressor reduces free recoil energy by about 32%. The overall cartridge length of 84.8mm (3.340in) is the same as that of the .30-06 Springfield, allowing the use of widely available standard-length actions. Is there a specific suppressor you would recommend for this rifle? [16], According to a recent Nosler publication the .33 Nosler surpasses the velocity of the .338 Lapua Magnum by 25fps while burning 18% less powder. It is claimed that the .22 Nosler delivers 25% more case capacity and is nearly 90m/s (300ft/s) faster than a .223 Remington/ 5.56 NATO. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. Without the 8 mm Mauser there would be no 30-06 or 308 or any other cartridges that have that head size. For deer-sized game, it is recommended that you have at least 1,000 ft-lbs of energy, a Hornady HITS formula ranking of at least 500, and at least 1,900 fps of velocity. An additional method to reduce the recoil of a firearm is to use downloaded rounds. Online pricing may vary from in-store pricing. Sure, it makes lots of noise and scares the crap out of everyone on the range, but it doesnt really punish the shoulder. That the .33 Nosler fits into a standard .30-06 length action (maximum cartridge length being within 3.340 inches) makes it feasible to be chambered in many rifles and actions. 14. Barrel life ranges from 2,000 to 4,000 rounds depending on use. Great info. The .26 Nosler is designed as a modern 6.5mm cartridge, using recent advances in firearm technology to attain exceptionally high muzzle velocities, up to 1,040m/s (3,400ft/s), and maintain an extremely flat trajectory. The 28 Nosler is quite a step up from the 7mag, being it can handle the 195 bergers it it's in a different class as far as LRH. The Nosler factory ammunition that I used on the Utah bull pushed the companys lead-free 225-grain E-Tip at an honest 2975 fps according to my own LabRadar Chronograph and the 225-grain Accubond load reaches 3025 fps. My experience with a variety of .338 cartridges began in the 1970s, which in the decades since has included all the abovementioned cartridges, as well as several proprietary and wildcat variants. The 338 Lapua kicks more than the 300 Norma (heavier bullet) and the narrower 30 cal bullet from the 300 Norma is performing better when launched at high velocities. Youll need to stay inside 300 yards for large game, and inside 500 yards for medium game. Get Special Offers Delivered Right to Your Inbox. [21][22], has a reputation for being a "barrel burner", "SAAMI New Cartridge & Chamber Introduction 22 Nosler", Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, "SAAMI New Cartridge and Chamber Acceptance Announcement: 26 Nosler", "26 Nosler ballistic data comparison charts", "ON TARGET: 30 Nosler is not based on .404 Jeffery", "Nosler Announces the 30 Nosler Cartridge: The Outdoor Wire", "Nosler unveils world's most powerful 6.5mm commercial cartridge: The 26 Nosler", "CARTRIDGE AND CHAMBER DRAWING 27 NOSLER", "Nosler Unveils World's Most Powerful 7Mm Commercial Cartridge", "Nosler Introduces Their Most Powerful Cartridge Yet The 33 Nosler", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nosler_cartridges&oldid=1117019051, 265gr (17.2g) Nosler AccuBond LongRange, This page was last edited on 19 October 2022, at 14:23. Hi Jim, Its twin bias erector system is constructed of shock resistant beryllium copper. This is a fantastic table, as I am in the market for a new rifle to use out west on elk and deer. I was hoping that you might be able to help me on a recoil question if you have the same weight gun at 8.25lbs or 10.25 lbs with scope on one is a weatherby 300 mag and the other is a weatherby 30-378 what would there recoil numbers be I know that the 30-378 would be higher but didnt know the exact difference and both guns would be shooting 180gr ammo 300 mag muzzle velocity would be 3250fps and the 30-378 muzzle velocity would be 3450 fps. Jim, AccuBond (.550 BC/.281 SD) at 3025 fps. When taking game at longer distances, the .338 magnums boast considerable downrange energy that produce reliable results. Your email address will not be published. We updated a few numbers in the chart but forgot to update the text. With the 225-grain AccuBond the .33 Nosler will deliver the same trajectory as the .300 Winchester Magnum with a 180-grain bullet. Follow along to see exactly how. The .33 Nosler is the latest; modern in every respect, it fully delivers (even exceeds) its advertised ballistics of pushing a 225-grain Nosler AccuBond bullet 3,025 fps. A broad butt and comb help spread the recoil over a greater area of your shoulder and face for added comfort. It is finished with a base gray color with a dash of green and a black speckled overlay. Recoil is the force of a gun pushing back against the shooter when a bullet is fired. Copyright 2023Sportsman's Warehouse. Nosler will be offering their complete line of M48 rifles in the .27 Nosler chambering. In exchange, the .308 Winchester gives a lighter recoil. The .28 Nosler shares the same overall cartridge length of 84.8mm (3.340in) as the .26 Nosler which allows it to be chambered in standard-length action. One thing Id like to ask is, if you still have the info handy, could you please add the rifle weight you used for each of the calculations so we could have an idea to expect more/less felt recoil with our rifle selections? The .28 Nosler and the .308 are both big game cartridges, but they have very different effective ranges. 500-yard drop: 33 inches . The 33 Nosler is capable of propelling a 225gr AccuBond at 3025 fps and the brand new 265gr AccuBond Long Range at 2775 fps. The .28 Nosler is a more select cartridge, and while it isnt difficult to find, it wont be quite as readily available. Throughout shooting sessions, the trigger broke cleanly at 2 34 pounds. The name .33 Nosler refers to the first two digits in the caliber (0.338in; 8.6mm) of the bullets that the cartridge fires and the name of the company which created it. I have taken a considerable number of big game with .338s, including elk, moose, black bear, caribou, deer, pronghorn antelope, grizzly and Alaskan brown bears and have also used them in long-range target work at distances out to 2,000 yards. All rights reserved. The company claims there's no upper impact velocity limit for the E-Tip bullet and that it'll . Youre 308 load data at 202 grains seems really heavy. The .33 Nosler is a .33-caliber (.338in; 8.6mm), rebated-rim centerfire rifle cartridge designed by Nosler. The .28 Nosler cartridge case can be formed by "necking up" or expanding the neck of a .26 Nosler case to 7mm (.284") diameter. It is the fourth cartridge designed by Nosler. The .334 O.K.H. The long-time bullet maker introduced its own line of cartridges in 2014, starting with the 26 Nosler. The .308 Winchester can go between medium and large game, since it does not have the full power of the .28 Nosler. Still, theres nothing more useless than a powerful cartridge that a hunter is scared of. The .33 Nosler embodies current case design concepts thought to promote efficiency and accuracy. The .270 Winchesters recoil produces 17.64 ft-lbs of energy and 11.64 fps of recoil velocity. The suppressor is the best way without the higher volume of noise? In 2016 the .30 Nosler was announced, and the latest cartridge to join the Nosler line is the .33 Nosler. Later in October 2016, Nosler continued to add to the cartridge family by releasing the .33 Nosler, and in January 2017 they introduced the .22 Nosler. Nosler cartridges include (left to right): .26, .28, .30 and .33. Due to its greater length, the Remington case is about 25 percent more capacious than the Nosler.[17]. The problem with muzzle brakes is that they increase the volume of the gunshot significantly. Thanks a million for your time and unbiased information, Im curious Jim. Thank you Jimbo! The rifle is offered in some stout cartridges, including 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, and 33 Nosler, as well as 300 Win. [18], According to a recent Nosler publication, the .30 Nosler surpasses the velocity of the .300 Weatherby Magnum, headspaces off of the shoulder like a .300 Remington Ultra Magnum and fits the same standard length action of a 300 Winchester Magnum.[19]. His chestnut face had the trademark forehead hump of a big, mature bull. Thank you for your hard workvery much appreciated. A .308 Winchester zeroed at 200 yards will drop 8.5 by 300 yards, and 26 by 400 yards. Its much appreciated. If so, how much recoil reduction might be realized by using semi autos? Have a lightweight granddaughter to test a few rifles recoil tomorrow, your time gathering this information is greatly appreciated and will definitely keep her from going into recoil shock. I hope they pay you your due. If you had to choose from left-handed choice, what would be good, better, best picks? It is considered to have very mild recoil, which many youth shooters and all adult shooters can generally shoot without any flinch or pain. Thanks so much for this! The CDS (Custom Dial System) can be custom tailored at no cost to correspond with the precise ballistics of a given load to compensate for bullet drop. Required fields are marked *. In a well-designed rifle and stock, the .30-06 recoil is acceptable for most adult shooters, but in many older rifles with poorly-designed stocks, the recoil can feel too powerful. O.K.H. The Ridgeline weighs in starting at 6.3 pounds and is backed by the Christensen . We can see that the .28 Nosler has quite a smaller bullet and length than the .308 Winchester: it is just . Is there somewhere we can adjust the ranges? Nonetheless, their performance captured the attention of major manufacturers. The Ridgeline is the quintessential hunting rifle. The actual muzzle energy on the .50 BMG is 12,500 ft/lbs. I listened to your Youtube explanation of why but I think its a little bit of I like apples and dont like your oranges. Kinda talk. Unlike the Barnes TSX and TTSX, the Nosler E-Tip has a smooth profile without any grooves cut into the bullet shank. I have tried many different methods for reducing the recoil of cartridges that are too powerful. I find that a good recoil pad also makes a significant difference in recoil. Additionally, if youll be shooting elk-sized game within 300 yards, the added recoil might just not be worth it for power that you wont really be using. Many smaller-bodied or inexperienced adult shooters begin to experience flinch at approximately 11.75 fps of recoil velocity. Recoil is measured by free recoil energy, and recoil velocity. Often three shots would cluster in a single ragged hole that was easily under .5 inch, but twice the fourth round opened the group to around .75 inch, which was shooter error. as a person that cant have more the 15 foot lbs recoil going into my shoulder ( medical thing ) i find this very helpfull. The same goes for hunters heading north into Canada or Alaska for moose or the big bears. [10], The .26 Nosler cartridge specifications have been submitted to SAAMI and a data sheet is currently available.[4]. [9] The .26 Nosler, when loaded with 8.4g (129gr) AccuBond Long Range very-low-drag bullets, retains as much velocity at 370m (400yd) as the .260 Remington produces at the muzzle. I spent SOOOO long putting the data for this post together. The Nosler family of cartridges was born in 2014 with the introduction of the 26 Nosler, followed by the 28 Nosler in 2015, 30 Nosler in 2016 and now were ready to introduce the patriarch of the family the 33 Nosler. So it would apply to deer or elk. Ill explain. The first U.S. commercially available .338-caliber rifle was the .33 Winchester introduced in the Model 1886 lever-action rifle around 1902. Most people consider the .270 a moderate-recoiling cartridge that can push the shooter off target during the shot, but is not enough to cause pain in the average adult shooter. Blocker Outdoors Finisher gloves, headcovers and other accessories are available in Mossy Oak Bottomland and Mossy Oak Obsession NWTF camouflage patterns to match various turkey hunting terrain. Both make this little mountain gun 1000 yard capable. Become a Nosler Dealer; International Dealers; Thank you for noticing. One way to think about this is as such: a foot-pound is a unit of energy equal to the amount of energy required to raise a weight of one pound a distance of one foot.