Going in the direction you did (higher) is going to reduce the acceleration fueling that the engine sees. If the issue persists, you may need to replace the IAC. We offer some tips to help with that. What can I do? My guess is a faulty IAC since it is intermittent and I have not done any setup changes. I readjusted my IAC, now it's perfect. Yes, you are correct. And if you're going to go this route I'd recommend that you switch from "Simple" (3 A/F targets, one each for Idle, Cruise, and WOT) and go to the 2-D Table I think that your timing is too retarded. In addition to avoiding this particular problem, the total solution is much better. Thanks for any help. He thought that something was wrong because when he set the idle 50 RPM below his target the resulting IAC postion was far too big. My sniper is doing two thingsFirst issue, the idle is set at 800 and will idle fine, then There is a glitch in the system. I think you'll be all set! The manifold pressure increases with the throttle opening but the RPMs are still low. But if you will just advance the timing at idle and see if it makes a difference then that will tell you what you need to know. Others might require 60 RPM. It has gotten a little better after I drove it for three hours today.I want to save the Kik because if I get this working good then I would like to add A C and use the kick for it.Motor is Mopar 360 with mild cam and automatic. It is simply for the benefit of the user. One additional wrap on the secondary coiled shaft spring is all that's necessary. I've been trying to correct that 1% small issue/annoyance. I think I figured some of my problems outI'll try to explain. I'm happy to walk you through what is required. The data that you provide shows that you have at least two problems. So the issue Im having is low idle. That will happen occasionally, but less as time goes and on and the engine tune stabilizes. I took some pics of the sensors page this morning after the car warmed up. Holly offers a very nice Analog-Style Fuel Pressure Gauge that is another option. Once it decides to come back down, it does so with no issue. An undersized or partially plugged fuel filter is a classic EFI installation mistake. Hello, I am having a tps and idle issue. AGAIN This is Intermittent meaning on a recent trip I stopped 3 times and issued occurred once. It's going to be really difficult to nail down the problem with the several simultaneous changes that you've made. Doesn't want to start, runs like crap. I'm compltely stumped and my wife is certainly upset I'm spending so much time between the garage and the computer for something that should basically run out of the box. I'm thinking it could be the fuel pressure--- since I have a new Spectra EFI tank and there's been some reports of the interior coating coming off and gumming up the pump however the sniper display DOES NOT show fuel pressure.the Sniper DOES measure fuel pressure on its own - i've confirmed that with holley techs as they told me to purchase the fuel pressure gauge that can just hook up to the 1 wire gauge harness from the Sniper. If you have an installation or start-up issue that is nagging you then please use the comments section to reply and we will gladly provide more information that we hope will be useful to you. have noticed on the hand held is that Air/fuel Ratio rises to 20 +/- A/F and the This is actually more troubling than the sound you originally described. So if you are trying to achieve a stoichiometric mixture in ethanol (which is achieved at an AFR of 9.0:1) then you should continue to target 14.7:1 since that is what will be displayed. Seems to behave more better now. Try it! If I put the vehicle in gear the idle gets higher with temp. So as much as I can I have been taking off real slow and let it fall on itself to try to learn and its not learning its way out of it. And yes, monitoring the fuel pressure is the right answer. Next, reach down into the secondaries and push the butterflies closed. I did check for the lightning under the hood but all was well. When I turn it off and try to restart it just cranks. Why is this? Interesting question. no timing control. Ok, we have enough Sniper systems out there that I thought it would be a good idea to create a posting on challenges that might arise during installation. TP range is normal goes up to about 90% with throttle pedal to the floor. Thanks. I recently had IAC issues identical to what you describe. I have turned ignition off turned screw in 2 turns and turned ignition back on and tps is at 1-2% not sure whats going on. Ilike a few othersam having idle issues. Realize that when you drop the throttle, the engine enters a condition it will only see for a fraction of a second at a time. If Though it started and ran good, it was dumping fuel and would not lean out to AFR set points. I am having an issue with the IAC on the Sniper. I then saw you guys have an awesome little gauge that can hookup inline to the snipers existing fuel feed?? If I were there in person I would test the function of the IAC (see this article.) Shut it off and immediately restarted and idle was now 880 with IAC at 8.If this is a vacuum leak I can't figure out what would cause it to go away immediately after shutting down the car and restarting. Well, it turns out that with the current firmware this throws the IAC control into a bit of confusion. If you go too low then it may stumble or even stall when coming off of throttle. Thank you so much for your follow-up. The noise changes sound with the throttle position. At this time, TPS is 0%, IAC is 50 to 60%. It felt like it was flooding out at low speed, low. The Tech Tips and discussions are also great! It reads 0 at idle and when I accelerate it goes up to 30 and makes a loud sucking sound that seems to be holding the car back. Switch power to the Sniper on and crank the engine. I've helped folks work through a number of challenges with their Sniper EFI System installations. The small rubber plug had a leak. This is very disappointing as people love to hear the motor while the hood is open.Thanks Jon. I have driven car about 200 miles. Thank you in advance for your help and providing us rookies with your Reducing that a bit will help. Its rare that you find someone that genuinely wants to help and see something work good, the information I have received from this page and Chris himself is top notch.1969 Dart GT 340 with a Holley Sniper, I purchased the Holley sniper from jegs wish I knew you sold them put on my truck got the IAC set haven't checked the -40 idle setting yet my problem is my headers are glowing red called Holley I think I got the worst person seemed to care less Afr is set at 12.8 for idle only thing I have changed I don't smell any fumes at idle someone said I could change the coolant temp enrichment but I don't know if it is rich or lean I figured since no smell it is lean any ideas would be appreciated thanks i have a fuel psi gauge reads 60 psi don't wanna melt my motor did not glow with a carburetor. Took it for a lap around the block and came back. It might be necessary to insulate or re-route your fuel lines if this can't be solved any other way. All times are GMT-6. Software: Idle > IAC Settings > Idle Spark, Handheld: Tuning > Advanced > Advanced Idle > Idle Spark, After completing this 10-step process, if the temperature displayed on the handheld is still above 160 degrees the engine should go right to it's target. Sorry for all the questions, new to the efi world. It then started working normally again. It is easily solved by installing a four-hole gasket or four-hole spacer (depending on your hood clearance issues.) Car was running great initially. Now it's at 5% on a big cam 440 Mopar. Once you've done this, the next natural step is to transfer the learn table to the base map, then go in and smooth out the sharp edges, which are going to be at these transitional states. Full product line and accessories at excellent pricing. In most cases the IAC (Idle Air Control) circuit is the source of the whistle. When the system is up and running the fuel pressure regulator inside the Sniper is making a rattling sound like a shaking a paint can. If the vendor from whom you bought the system is coming up blank on ideas then don't hesitate to contact Holley's outstanding tech support department directly at 866-464-6553. When I covered the IAC with my finger, the RPM dropped so low it stalled. Always had to set idle above 950. We have never had that problem with any of the units that we have shipped. First thing I would check School's out for spring break this week though so I'm covering for employees on vacation. Hi Chris thanks in advance for any tips. And Earl's makes a fantastic little 100 PSI gauge. Really appreciate the amount of learning im getting off here. After a stall the car will restart but will be in a high idle. I installed a Holley Sniper on my Ford Maverick 302 V8. Nothing against Holley's method but I need to keep things simple and I do that by eliminating the effect of the IAC entirely while getting the idle speed adjusted. I will let you know what the results are. such high fuel pressure. WIthout knowing quite a bit more it will be more than challenging for you to identify the problem and solve it.Fortunately, Holley provides their amazing Sniper Software. However, I can't think of a single one that was because of low vacuum. If so remove it. After doing TPS reset it starts fine but when you give it some gas it hangs at 1500 and will not return to idle. I, too, wish you'd bought your Sniper from us! Sorta similar to a carb having the idle mixture set incorrectly (rich) or the idle speed too low. The Sniper even has a feature that allows it to use the idle timing to control the idle speed. What could be the cause? Well, it sounds to me like your Sniper is doing its best to reduce your idle. Cycling the power to the Sniper EFI would cure the problem, but not prevent it from coming back. The latest was changing the power brake booster.Today I drove it to work and no issues at all. I have heard some guys complain that the idle is too good and they can't hear their cam anymore I'm kind of like that. I've abbreviated it just a little bit but am appreciative of the added insight your comments provided.Off-idle performance can really be a challenge to self-learn but be assured that it can almost always be done. View Holley Sniper EFI Self-Tuning Kit - Shiny Finish. You will find a startup IAC percentage, an amount of time it holds at that percentage, and an amount of time it takes to idle down to the normal idle speed.By default, that number is 50% at normal operating temperature. I did read some comments on regulator issues is there a way to check it for an issue ? I received from the controller manufacturer greatly understates (at best) the repeated failures of others I know personally who have tried and failed. Holley have given a new unit. I'd recommend you contact Holley Tech support to get their input (1-866-464-6553; call early for the shortest wait times.) This will let you know at a glance if something is going awry with the fuel pump. Ok, so I'm stumped! Sniper setting is Stock camshaft. It's not necessary to drive it that way. Now I have most of the bugs worked out it runs fine on the highway and around town it's just the idle. Please check your process again and see if you can see very specifically what is not working correctly. You just need to go back through the IAC adjustment procedure now that idle timing control is enabled. Closed Loop Compensation rises to 100%, Do I just keep pushing it the same way to mail today. Your comment doesn't imply any sort of problem that would make me give up on idle timing control. Watch videos on installation hints and if you haven't yet, download & read every Sniper installation guide you can find online. your IAC is at zero. If it is already adding fuel, it may be worth expanding this into the area where the tip-in is occuring (and where there is no learning occuring. You advise would be greatly appreciated. You will have to do this until the TPS stays at 0% when the throttle is closed. :-). Save Share. Give them a call and if they are unable to provide customer support the contact the Holley tech support line at 1-866-464-6553. port that goes right on the inlet of your Sniper and makes installation a breeze.If your fuel pressure is solid at about 60 PSI then you should start looking at $107.95. There is a chance that the IAC is open but displaying 0% so start by putting your finger over the IAC opening. If you feel you have no other choice but to run a Sniper and stand-alone controller then you can give this a try. The idle is 1350-1400 with the idle screw at initial contact. Hi Chris I didn't get any traction on Holley.com You are aware of the idle-up problem. Throttle Tip-In puts you in a part of the fuel map where you stay for only milliseconds at a time. The noise is definitely coming OUT of the throttle body. If the minus 40 degree setting is lower than the setting to the right, simply move it up so that it looks something like this: The folks who have tried this have found that their idle speed control behaves much more as they expect. The throttle position should be zero. Several good bits here. I think that your Sniper system is working fine but would definitely check ouf the fuel pump. Bryan McTaggart 02/28/2023 news I haven't driven it for the 30-40 minutes like the several times it idled at 2200. What you are experiencing is rather common. Kind of cuts into forum time. Robust, feature-rich multi-port EFI systems offer easy plug-and-play late-model V8 engine swaps. Price Point: $$$. Price Point: $, Advanced throttle body injection systems capable of transmission control and more. Don't try to correct for the fuel. Note: The IAC breather hole is the roughly 1/4-inch triangular hole that sits above and between the secondaries. Then Friday night as I was driving home, the car started acting up. Should it not do the opposite and do this on a cold start not warm. I think that a great number of the challenges that Sniper EFI System Owners face are brought on themselves by getting into the control settings before the system has really had a chance to learn. Thank you for any advice. FYI: Car is a 1970 Mustang 302 Ford Racing roller motor. Yes, it will talk to you--but not with words. Since your target is probably more like 700, and since 2400 is way over 1700 RPM, it's going to leave the IAC in the park position.Buckle down and find how air is getting into your engine. If the ECU has not spent some significant time learning yet, I'd recommend going back through the setup wizard and getting everything back to default. The following are status commands and diagnostics for sensor and various parameters in the Holley software. Genuine Walbro fuel pumps are virtually bullet-proof. Then you can take a close look at the IAC and see if it is opening. When I shut it off then start it And since they really had an insanely-tight monetary and real estate budget in the Sniper EFI System, it is unlikely that the added something that wasn't absolutely necessary--and then forgot to use it..And you are spot on about the little Earl's gauge with optional -6 AN port. I have an entirely separate article on Solving RF Intereference Issues. But I am having troubles.When stepping on the accelerator slightly with idling, it will be 2000 RPM all the time. If I rev the engine a couple times in neutral it will finally return to idle & usually will not do it again for the rest of my trip. One of the great features of Holley's Sniper is the ability to set your air/fuel ratio (AFR) where you want it. I also tried changing roc/map to 8 from 15 again no change at all.My ve table is smooth and tuned I even changed my AFR to 13.5 from 14.2 and no change at all. Its timed to 36 degrees. The Sniper will be controlling the timing so it will be based on a multitude of factors. Price Point: $$, Robust, feature-rich multi-port EFI systems offer easy plug-and-play late-model V8 engine swaps. Thanks for the info Chris. The team at Holley has designed the perfect solution for your problems.