Moderate precipitation. Meaning: (Noun) A peeler is an Irish term for a member of the police. Gaff The Irish slang word for house. Irish Phrases - Funny Irish Sayings & Slang | Vagabond Tours Meaning: (Phrase) When you hear someone say sure look, it means it is what it is or a person is bored but does not want to talk more. Yoke A word used instead of saying thing. Quality, I see. If you want to visit Ireland and experience the culture, food, and history of the country, then you should get to know Irish slang words so you can sound like an Irish person. However, I may be getting older and going out less as a result. insulting: Youre just a bollox. Saying, Go and ask my bollox, is less offensive. It can be subsitited for ah feck but not around little ears! Nobody knows when the rain will stop in Ireland. Ive split these into sections: slang Irish phrases, slang Irish words, Irish expressions used for saying hello, Irish slang phrases for drunk and also Irish slang insults and swear words. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Dilutable = Non-alcoholic concentrated syrup used to make beverages. This *might* give you an insight. She can be mean or acts unrespectable. C'mere 'til I tell ya 15. Its lashing/bucketing outside Means it is pouring with rain outside. For instance, use your umbrella to Gway out of that. Example: He is such an eejit for breaking your heart! Simply means whats happening. Well, no need to reach for your Irish language dictionary just yet. Locked is just one such term - others include mouldy, ossified, polluted, twisted and langers. Hewya, me auld segotias An old Irish way of saying hi my friend. Im famished! Grand This is used in Irish phrases instead of using the word okay. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. The car wont start again because the engine is banjaxed, or No, the things banjaxed sure., In an Irish bar anywhere in the world, if you hear someone say theyre Going to the jacks or ask you, Where are the jacks, they are referring to the restroom. But be careful if trying to use it yourself as the person on the receiving end might take offense. Lets go somewhere else. First, you can use this to ask someone to come near you because he or she wants to say something to you. Howsagoin?! For example, I managed to book tickets for that concert you were telling me about Paddy, to which Paddy replies deadly. Whats the story? Example: Get away from me, melter! The word unreal typically refers to something that is imagined or illusory, but not in Ireland. Dose Means a case of illness. Example: Let me see the video again. Meaning: (Expression) The expression whats the craic? is when a person asks you how you are. Meaning: (Verb) giving out is Irish slang for complaining or ranting about something unpleasant. Tbf Irish phrases / idioms are better than the slang words, If yer . Meaning: (Greeting) Hows she cutting is an expression used when you are overly excited upon seeing a friend. It can mean someone is an idiot, a bit silly or just plain stupid. Translation: Im ecstatic. As in "it is absolutely lashing". Whats the craic? rinnai condensate drain installation Likes. Scundered/scunnered - different meanings depending on your location 16. Such as, Ross, ya pox! What a complete jerk. That was shite can means that was rubbish. Meaning: (Adjective) To many of us, deadly means something dangerous that could lead to death when done. This place is kip! have you no shame?! Meaning: (Phrase) Having the craic means a person is ready to listen to the latest news of gossip. Please enter your username or email address to reset your password. Ah, another Irish proverb that describes something brilliant with a word that is actually used to describe something dangerous. Example: Feck, I forgot to charge my phone! one who is uninteresting. Meaning: (Expression) The expression houl yer whisht is used when a person is trying to tell others to keep quiet. Meaning: (Noun) Latchio is a form of derogatory word used for a male person with a low social status. Gobshite - An Irish slang word for fool, eejit, stupid person. At my previous job, I shared a building with about 250 individuals representing 34 nations. She only needed four years. Meaning: (Noun) The term glunterpeck is another word for a stupid person. Rainey weather type. Irish In origin. Top 80 Irish Slang Words: The Gift of the Gab - Owlcation Its gas! Feck/Friggin/Flippin All stem from fuck and are a lesser harsh version. You jammy sod Meaning you are very lucky. Donkeys years is a term for a lengthy period of time. It can also be used to indicate someone is irritated or angry. These are all bad! The Jacks An Irish slang word for the toilet. There, its like a midden. A person who is having the craic is having fun, as in Ah, man, Im dying. We returned from the pub at 2:00, but we continued to have fun until 7:00. Leg it This is used to tell someone to run. My friend Mayo Declan is an expert in this field. In reality, it can describe anything. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Shes a tool. Also, this expression can be used when you want someone to come near you, so you can say something to him or her. Can you use your jumper cables to give it a lash? Ah, fatal. Meaning: (Adjective) In Ireland, if one person calls you thick, he or she thinks you are stupid. Translation: I will never get around to it. Theres also the possibility of using this Irish proverb to describe someone who is bull-thick (aka angry). Meaning: Youre a disgraceExample of usage and translation: Oh my god, she was an absolute state. Go away outta that This is another Irish phrase that has a few meanings, depending on the situation. 20. It can also be used in annoyance. After that, we all returned to Sharons. Sound A word that can often be used instead of grand or okay. The phrase the craic was 90 is used to indicate a situation in which serious amusement was had. Shes right on or Last week, I fixed the bike in Riordains yard. It was spot on and only cost ten pounds. And this is the one that the fantastic Father Ted series popularized. It is a book containing the gallows speeches from over 100 offenders. Although he is from Malahide, he is spot on. Meaning: (Phrase) The phrase Lob the gob is Irish slang for kissing.. It was definitely Colin, for instance. Example: Hey, young wan! Top 20 mad Northern Irish phrases that only make sense to locals Meaning: (Noun) Yoke is Irish slang that is used to call something with a name you cant remember, even when you think hard enough. By half past ten, I had locked myself in bed. Email: Word: Define: No need to be embarrassed. Im in a hurry, so lets talk soon! It is also used as an insult. The words Class and Pure are frequently used together. Its bucketing down outside. Theres a grand aul stretch in the evenings This is often uttered in springtime, particularly when the clocks have moved forward in March and evenings are staying brighter for longer. We only had a few shots of whiskey. Example: This food is quality! Meaning: Stop moaning / complainingNote: To gurn is to complain about a person. Giving out literally translates as to whine. This is a phrase that means "a long time" or a "number of years". Meaning: (Phrase) The phrase one can short of six means that a person is not thinking straight or is not fully present in a certain situation. 125 Irish Slang Words and Phrases to Sound Like a True Local Ireland is the second largest island in the world, just next to Great Britain. 2023 LetsLearnSlang.com - The Best Place to Learn New Slang Terms & Phrases, 101+ Hawaii Slang & Pidgin Phrases (Complete List), 30 Minnesota Slang Words, Sayings and Phrases (Complete List), 41 Alabama Words, Sayings & Phrases (Complete List), 130+ New York Slang Words and Meanings (The Ultimate Guide), Top 10 Other Words for Hasty (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Dazzling (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Dying (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Precedent (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Expensive (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Respond (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Mundane (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Profitable (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Eccentric (Explained w Examples), Top 10 Other Words for Recognition (Explained w Examples). Im tired already! For instance, Shite, store the cans. There are two peelers approaching from that direction. Well done, her. Example: Its minus craic here. One of the most famous Irish words is 'grand.' Unfortunately it has a multitude of meanings depending on context. Im at a loss for words for this one. or Ive never tried that before, but Ill definitely give it a lash. This term, which is pronounced Flue-tered, designates a person who has consumed more alcohol than 9 pints. If a teenager says theyve a free gaff it usually means their parents are away/out and a party may ensue. Im interested in 18th century Irish slang, particularly the word they used to make denigrating remarks about the British. Example: Shes giving out in the living room, but I dont understand her. To be sound is a state of existence. Is it true that your cousin is getting married just after a few weeks of dating? Example: Hes gone from the house early this morning. Raging An Irish expression means someone is angry or disappointed with themselves. Dont worry; slagging is light-heartedly mocking someone and is often witnessed amongst friends. Meaning: (Noun) A melter is someone incredibly annoying that he or she might actually melt your brain. Example: Im up to high doh about this trip! I'm steamin' - you might hear this at the pub 18. For instance, She won money down the bingo this week once more. Jammy hoor! THE IRISH WAY with words is a complex one. Did you do that thing for yer man? is an example. Hes a gowl and a half that boy, for instance. Can also be used to mean a person. This Irish expression is used to request that someone wait for you or to pause what you are saying. Hes a slievene means hes a sneaky so-and-so. I was raging I missed it means Im so disappointed I missed it. drunk and banned. This term is used as a derogatory word. For example, Mary says John bungee jumped in Costa Rica last week, to which Patrick, who would never do a bungee jump, responds fair play to him. Example: You gowl! The slang was taken from the original word and is now one of the common Irish sayings today. Tame. Here are some more typical expressions using Irish slang words, from the messages to jammy.. Example: If we want to arrive on time, we need to leg it. Irish Slang. How to understand Irish people's secret | by Caroline A place where members can be honest with each other, share their stories and travel photos, and try out a new way to see Ireland together. I will, yeah This has the opposite meaning to what is implied. Meaning: (Expression) The expression the craic was 90 means that a person is having an exceptionally good time. Irish people will say, Fair play, when they want to congratulate someone. Meaning: (Greeting) The term story horse is used as a greeting and when a person invites you to tell him or her the latest gossip. Shed talk the hind legs off a donkey This girl/woman is a right chatterbox, never stops talking. . Shite Meaning shit, rubbish or pants. He may have taken us in a taxi to our destination and then hopped out without paying for it, for instance. Sure, yer one was caught shifting yer man last week, for instance. For instance, Oh well! Example: Stall the ball! Example: Gosh, she was stumbling out of the pub last night. Giving out Means someone is complaining about someone or something. Example: Im glad to spend time with you this summer. Translation: Im not planning on getting absolutely hammered, but one might very well turn into 15. is really familiar. Sound person. You will often hear Irish expats say I havent heard that in donkeys years meaning whatever it is being said to them, they havent heard that in years and years. The island comprises lush fields, but thousands of years ago, it was covered in a thick blanket of ice. To be sound: Irish slang. Meaning: (Phrase) The Irish phrase be wide is what the locals used to tell a person to be careful. We like her! Example: How ya doin, hey? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. For instance, Last night was a serious one, but I was out of it and ordered 7 bags of chips on the way home.. It was 90 fun. Example: You went to the beach? This is a formal gathering. Meaning: (Phrase) Ogeous handling is a situation wherein the people are in danger. Meaning: (Expression) The expression Did I fuck is used when a person sarcastically means he or she did not do the thing the other person was asking. Hes a shnakey little shitehawk, that man. Meaning: (Greeting) Howsagoin' is an Irish greeting when two people come across each other but dont have time to talk. One more gentle one. You are such a gobshite! Can also mean someone is a fool. It is often used to refer to rougher parts of Dublin in particular. sound out irish slang. Thats why he dropped out of school. Good God, it just occurred to me how many Irish proverbs there are for foul weather! In this case it is a vague answer of itll be ok. The island comprises lush fields, but thousands of years ago, it was covered in a thick blanket of ice. This Irish proverb is frequently used in a crude manner to describe someone who is feeling queasy, as in Ive had a bad dose of the shits all day.. Dye see yer wan over there with the red hat? is one example. Example: Continue with that behavior and Ill tell everyone youre a bollox! Meaning: (Verb) Faffing is used by Irish people when a person is pretending to do something or acting like he or she is doing something but with no half measures. Meaning: (Noun) A chancer is a person who takes a chance on anything, especially when theres an opportunity for him or her to become successful. . Meaning: (Expression) The Irish expression grand is used as a response to questions like How are you?, How are you doing? and many more. Example: Hes a bog. Meaning: (Adjective) The word gobdaw is Irish slang thats used to describe a stupid person. Ah no. Translation: Quiet down. Leg it to the shops, or leg it to meet one of the lads around the corner. Thats sound! Meaning: Stop acting upNote: Most often said by ones mother, it basically means stop doing what youre doing right now, or suffer the consequences. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. The most common Irish slang insults are "eejit" or "gombeen" which means "idiot." Minerals Here we are coming back to the drinking culture in Ireland. For a personge to be alright, good, and fair dinkim. Given the lack of dry days in Ireland, youll be lucky to hear this said too often! Here are 20 Northern Irish phrases and what they mean in plain English. With my guide to certain Irish lingo, you will understand what the phrases mean and fit right in! Example: he yer wan last night gave me her number but I dont remember her name. The TV is banjaxed simply means its not working. This one is typically used the morning following a strenuous session to explain why your head is pounding. Meaning: (Noun) A sleeveen is a person whos often rogue. It can mean youre joking me or really or for my Welsh readers, go away outta that = never. As in, Bout ye, chief! Like a pint? Be wide, my friend! They are not real. She regularly returns to Ireland to explore more of the wonderful island with her family. Hes a right chancer This Irish term is used when talking about someone who chances their arm. When describing something or someone who is in a bad situation, the phrase in bits is used. I cant understand the news! For instance, Please let me know he canceled training. The outside is rotten. Meaning: (Expression) Its rotten is another way of saying its raining in Ireland. To make a long story short This can be used at the start of an explanation but beware, it doesnt always mean itll be a short story. When absolutely no fun was being had, it was said to be minus craic, which is the complete opposite of having the craic. For instance, Last night, we went to the new club. Kip This Irish slang word has two meanings. Example: You almost lost your passport? It can often be heard from irritated parents telling off their offspring. He's a right bowsie 9. I had a wild night last night. HEY. Shes up there giving out to Tony about something, for instance. Irish Slang Words, Irish proverbs for describing the weather, pp.