Scientific experts have conducted experiments with identical fires and Willinghams burns are normal for this type of fire. He was a guy who murdered his three children, who tried to beat his wife into an abortion so that he wouldn't have those kids. 1. Cameron Todd Willingham, of Texas, was the husband of Stacy Willingham and the loving father of three young girls.There is a reason why I did not include the word 'loving' in front of the word 'husband'. Within 5 kilometers of your location. Their daughters, 2-year-old Amber and her two younger identical twin sisters, 1-year-old Karmon and Kameron, all died from carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation. Cameron Todd Willingham, who went by Todd, with his wife, Stacy. While Willingham always insisted he was innocent, later evidence suggested he was wrongly convicted and executed. Cameron Todd Willingham : biography. Follow the links to read about more murders profiled on Evil Lives Here. Hurst speculated that it was likely that water sprayed by firefighters had spread the lighter fluid from the melted container. State district Judge Charlie Baird scheduled an unusual court of inquiry hearing Wednesday after the Innocence Project filed a petition asking him to "restore the reputation" of Willingham and declare he was wrongly convicted. March 9, 2015. By John Schwartz. Stacy Kuykendall Willinghamgirlslivesmattered is on Facebook. In a legal brief responding to Hursts report, the prosecution argued that the execution should go ahead, and includedan affidavit from Willinghams former brother-in-law Ronnie Kuykendall. The neighbors said he seemed more concerned about damage to his property, such as his car than the welfare of his children. Willinghams statements to law enforcement officials were remarkably consistent, even under intense interrogation, and remained consistent over the course of a decade. "[38] Judge Charlie Baird held an inquiry in September 2010 in Austin, but Lowell Thompson, the Navarro County DA, appeared at the hearing with a motion for Baird to recuse himself due to conflict of interest Baird had once affirmed Willingham's conviction while sitting as a Criminal Appeals judge yet had also been recognized by an anti-death penalty group. The case was discussed again in a 2009 investigative report in The New Yorker. In his letter, Willingham insisted that he was innocent: I hope that after I am gone that some day, some how the truth will be known and my name cleared.. On October 25, Stacy Kuykendall told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that during a final prison meeting just weeks before he was put to death, Willingham admitted setting the fire in response to Stacy's alleged threats of divorce the night before. Movies. In the following days, Willingham returned to the house with some family and friends. Your email address will not be published. But tragically, their three young children were killed in the blaze. In recreations with rooms involved in intense fires, experts can safely stand by a door seconds before flashover, and Willingham could have stood close to the childrens room without being harmed. The faulty forensic analysis and lack of other evidence doesnt matter because Willingham was a bad man and a sociopath, so he was guilty. stacy willingham married. Our kids were spoiled rotten.. [12] All twenty of the indications listed by Vasquez of an accelerant being used were rebutted by Hurst,[1] who concluded there was "no evidence of arson" the same conclusion reached by other fire investigators. Willingham's case and the investigative techniques were criticized by a 2004 Chicago Tribune article. Prosecutors are fighting that effort, which is being led by the Innocence Project, a New York legal center. They didnt care who. She said, I dont think he did it. TV-14. Gary Green stabbed his wife, Lovetta Armstead, Alexander Watson was arrested after an armed robbery turned into a murder. Something doesnt, No , the murder happened in Ohio . Where Is Stacey Willingham From Trial By Fire In 2019? : Directed by Phoebe Kwong, Joel Pincosy. He wanted her help in his appeal for clemency and also to say goodbye. It also found insufficient evidence to prove that state Deputy Fire Marshal Manuel Vasquez and Corsicana Assistant Fire Chief Douglas Fogg were negligent or guilty of misconduct in their arson work. But she said in an interview that was untrue. [7] Webb later told David Grann, a reporter for The New Yorker that he might have been mistaken. What are now being described as Willinghams inconsistencies dont come from Willingham at all they are recollections from hearsay witnesses, virtually none of whom testified at trial or were cross-examined. American justice (in many cases) is flawed. "[27], But Hurst said, "The whole case was based on the purest form of junk science. Or try to make you believe them just because a movie made THEM look bad. He was executed on February 17, 2004, aged 36. Cameron Todd Willingham's Ex-Wife Stacy Kuykendall Says Texas Shouldn't Pardon Him [EXCLUSIVE] | HuffPost . The order comes at the end of a day of testimony. During the penalty phase of the trial, she testified under oath. She said that she and Willingham had not had a disagreement for two weeks. Myth: Her statement directly contradicts numerous previous statements she has made: in interviews with police and fire investigators; in testimony during the trial; in letters to public officials and Willinghams lawyers; and in her comments to the press. This week on Reasonable Doubt, the team takes on the Raul and Cathy Sarinana were sentenced to death for abusing Would love your thoughts, please comment. [37], In 2010, the Innocence Project filed a lawsuit against the State of Texas, seeking a judgment of "official oppression. In the case, Willingham refused an offer to plead guilty in return for a life sentence. She said, If I said it, then its true., In the course of reporting my story, I also spoke to John Jackson, who prosecuted Willingham. However, he insisted that he would not admit to a crime he claimed he didnt commit, so he was sentenced to die by lethal injection. Before the trial, he even refused to plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence. Testimony from fire investigators was the primary evidence against Willingham. Evil Lives Here is examing a shocking case involving the murder of three young children through an act of arson by their father, Cameron Todd Willingham, in Corsicana, Texas, in 1991. I was 21, just lost all my children and now everyone expected me to believe that their father did this. [2] The Corsicana Fire Department disputes the findings, stating that the report overlooked several key points in the record. In the statement, Willingham's ex-wife, Stacy Kuykendall, was quoted as telling family members that Willingham said "that he had set the fire because he knew she was going to leave him." The account came from Kuykendall's brother, Ronnie Kuykendall, in a statement to an investigator for the district attorney's office in 2004. Cameron Todd Willingham: Wrongfully Convicted and Executed in Texas - Innocence Project. The case of Cameron Todd Willingham, who was executed in Texas in 2004 and whom Iwrote about forThe New Yorker last month, has taken another strange twist. Stacy Kuykendall, Willingham's then-wife and the mother of his three daughters, was not home at the time of the fire . STORY HIGHLIGHTS Craig Beyler's report criticized investigators who ruled the . "[16] There were two refrigerators in the Willingham house. "It didn't have [anything] to do with the fire," Fogg said. My girls would have been 23 and 21 years old today. He's just not.". So where is Willinghams wife now? Hurst individually discredited each piece of arson evidence, using publicly supported experiments backed by his re-creation of the elements in question, the most notable being the Lime Street fire, which created the unique 3-point burn patterns flashover. Do you, This was definitely in IL because we are friends with, Hi. The Fire That Started & Ended It All. "My ex-husband murdered my daughters, and just before he was executed, he told me he did it," Kuykendall said. I miss them so much., While Kuykendall was in Willinghams corner and also persistent about his innocence for years, she changed her stance shortly before his execution.I read that Todds stepmom and cousin are asking the governor for a pardon. His former probation officer, Polly Goodin, said he had never demonstrated bizarre or sociopathic behavior and that "He was probably one of my favorite kids. Although Kuykendall, who was eventually convinced of her ex-husbands guilt, turned down many of his last requests, she was there for his execution by lethal injection. . Cameron Todd Willingham (January 9, 1968 - February 17, 2004) was an American man who was convicted and executed for the murder of his three young children by arson at the family home in Corsicana, Texas, on December 23, 1991.Since Willingham's 2004 execution, significant controversy has arisen over the legitimacy of the guilty verdict and the interpretation of the evidence that was used to . Killed in the fire were Willingham's three daughters: two-year-old Amber Louise Kuykendall, and one-year-old twins, Karmen Diane Willingham and Kameron Marie Willingham. Even if the analysts didnt know it was wrong at the time, they surely should have known it in the years following and should have brought it to the attention of courts and prosecutors long before the 11th-hour efforts that preceded Willinghams execution. Also, the prosecution relied heavily on the testimony of convict Johnny Webb, who testified that Willingham had confessed to him. The science commission was set to hear testimony from Beyler last year. He said he was prescribed many medications at that point while being treated for bipolar disorder. Kuykendall has acknowledged that Willingham had asked to see her to help him in his bid for clemency. Today's episode is the story of Toni Jo Henry who had a horrible childhood, fought drug addiction, found true love and then was involved in a murder. In that article, Kuykendall made it clear that she did not believe Willinghams version of events. Cameron Todd Willingham (January 9, 1968 - February 17, 2004) was an American man who was convicted and executed for the murder of his three young children by arson at the family home in Corsicana, Texas, on December 23, 1991. All rights reserved, Man Shot by Fort Worth Officer After Reaching for Gun in Waistband: Police, Fort Worth Music Festival Happening at Fort Worth Stockyards, Novak Djokovic Denied' US Entry Ahead Of Indian Wells, Joe Biden Asked To Intervene, Barbara Corcoran Says Meeting Mark Cuban Was Her Most Embarrassing Moment' on Shark Tank' Here's Why, 3 Children Killed, 2 Wounded in Ellis County Home; 1 in Custody: Sheriff. How Did Cameron Todd Willingham Die? Join Facebook to connect with Stacy Kuykendall Willinghamgirlslivesmattered and others you may know. Willingham didnt try to save his children (his wounds were superficial, he stood outside while the house burned, he moved his car, etc). January 9, 1968 - February 16, 2004 . Questions persist surrounding Cameron Todd Willingham's conviction and death sentence, but according to Stacy Kuykendall, who knew him better than anyone, Cameron is a monster who was guilty as charged and deserved to die. Willingham himself escaped the home with only minor burns. I dont blame Todds stepmom for fighting for her son, she continued to The Huffington Post in 2012. Evidence of such a deal would have eliminated Webb's testimony. Neighbors later told the police how they had seen Willingham crouching on the lawn outside his house as the building went up in smoke. Cameron Todd Willingham's Ex-Wife Stacy Kuykendall Says Texas Shouldn't Pardon Him [EXCLUSIVE] | HuffPost. "I think about my girls every day and I miss them," she said. I recently finished The Lost City of Z, David Grann's account of the British explorer Percy Fawcett's final journey in the Amazon basin, where . Note to Stacy and Family: Many accounts refer to Amber as having lastname of Kuykendall and Willingham. Webb later sent Jackson a "Motion to Recant Testimony," which declared, "Mr. Willingham is innocent of all charges." (For example, she now claims the couple fought the night before the fire, but she clearly said the opposite in various official statements over the years.). "[12] According to Brandice, he refused, and moved his car away from the fire before returning to sit on a nearby lawn, "not once attempting to go inside to rescue his children." Once the fire had reached flashover and the fire department arrived, Willingham became far more agitated, to the point of being restrained by emergency services. "[6], Prosecutor John Jackson noted that Webb was considered unreliable, but he later supported an early release from prison for Webb. In their final meeting, however, he did not confess, she told the Tribune. Cameron Todd Willingham's case raises strong opinions on many different levels, but some who defend his conviction and execution are distorting aspects of the case, and some of those distortions are being repeated or reported as fact. [citation needed] Willingham was executed by lethal injection on February 17, 2004, at the Texas State Penitentiary in Huntsville. His testimony has been criticized as contentious for several reasons. The case of Cameron Todd Willingham, who was executed in Texas in 2004 and whom I wrote about for The New Yorker last month, has taken another strange twist. As far back as 1969, scientific experts published findings that some of the very indicators of arson used in the Willingham case were unreliable and could be misinterpreted. Willingham explained that he moved his car because he was afraid fuel in the car would cause the fire to get much worse. Willingham was not charged with spousal abuse; he was charged with murder. The commission was never asked to determine whether Willingham was innocent, and was never going to reach a conclusion on his innocence. About Willingham's ex-wife, Stacy Kuykendall, even John Jackson (who prosecuted Willingham and . He added that Willingham's Led Zeppelin poster of a fallen angel was "many times" an indicator of "cultive-type" activities. . "[12], The prosecution claimed that Willingham may have been motivated by a desire to rid himself of unwanted children. She was out shopping for Christmas presents at a thrift shop. Stacy Kuykendall, his then-wife, played a . On December 23, 1991, a fire destroyed the family home of Cameron Todd Willingham in Corsicana, Texas. A later study into the causes of the fire stated that it might not have been arson. Willinghams ex-wife said that he hit her but never tried to hurt the children. [1], Willingham had the Texas Department of Criminal Justice number 999041. of Criminal Justice . Stacy Kuykendall read a prepared statement to reporters outside the Travis County courthouse. Cameron Todd Willingham (January 9, 1968 February 17, 2004) was an American man who was convicted and executed for the murder of his three young children by arson at the family home in Corsicana, Texas, on December 23, 1991. . Menu. Stacey Kuykendall divorced her husband not long after the deaths of her children, and she professed that Willingham had been abusive towards her, but not the children. With Bob Gallagher, Amber Louise Kuykendall, Stacy Kuykendall, Kameron Marie Willingham. Stacy Kuykendall, the ex-wife of Cameron Todd Willingham, said in a statement to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram published Sunday that Willingham told her he was upset by threats to divorce him after . Not long after their encounter, a leading fire investigator, Dr. Gerald Hurst, completed his review of the original investigation and concluded, as other leading fire investigators would in the years to come, that there was no scientific basis to determine that Willingham had set the fire, and that the original fire investigators had based their theories on discredited methods.