", to which his answer[11] comprised 42 rules. The Rape of Nanking - Iris Chang 10. According to Toronto Star books editor Deborah Dundas, the New York Times stated it was not counted because it was published by a Canadian company. Beyond Good And Evil Friedrich Nietzsche, 10. Maps of Meaning draws on 13 years of research in the fields of mythology, religion, literature, philosophy, and psychology, to explain how humans form beliefs, why those beliefs often lead to social conflict, and what we might do to come up with a better, universal system of morality. Mans Search for Meaning Viktor Frankl, 10 Recommendations on the Best Philosophy Books for Beginners, Bestseller Books to Read Once In Your Lifetime, The Best James Patterson's Books of All Time. The problem is that when Peterson fleshes them out, they carry more flab than meat". ", "Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient). If youd like to learn more about this book specifically, you can listen to Jordan Peterson talk about it in the following video: This is a three-volume set. The rules are easy to remember, and the book is fun to read. foundational life strategies for personal growth and will help you develop empathy for others, his works are a great start! We hope you found this list helpful and that youll find a good pick to get familiar with his work and ideas. I remember listening to them in Prague, where I was living, walking through the park each day, feeling the sun bouncing off my skin, and hearing the distant dog barks and bird chirps as a background to Petersons passionate projections. })(); Beyond Good And Evil Friedrich Nietzsche, Modern Man in Search of A Soul Carl Jung, Maps Of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief Jordan B. Peterson. So, which Jordan Peterson book should I read first? If you ask us, heres the order in which reading his books makes the most sense based on their topics, popularity, and connection with each other: Yes, Peterson is a direct person with lots of opinions. As you can tell from the title, this is a Jordan Peterson book. Here is a list of books that I found particularly influential in my intellectual development. Which of Jordan Petersons books should you read first? I got an incredible amount of value from these lectures. For fans of Carl Jung, this is a must-read. The 5 Most Important Books Recommended by Jordan Peterson. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Jordan Peterson REVEALS 10 Books EVERYONE Should Read..Welcome back to Pursuit Of Meaning, today on this channel we are going to talk about " 10 Books Jordan. First time reading JBP, need some help choosing which to read first! Id start with 12 rules for life, then beyond order then maps of meaning. Trigger warning:These are the most terrifying booksI have encountered. Is Jordan Peterson still a professor? Mans Search for Meaningdetails holocaust survivor Viktor Frankls horrifying experiences in Nazi concentration camps, along with his psychological approach of logotherapy, which is also what helped him survive and shows you how you can and must find meaning in your life. To go wrong in ones own way is better than to go right in someone elses. Fyodor Dostoevsky. Jordan B. Peterson is a clinical psychologist, psychology professor, and entrepreneur who has written a couple of books you can find on the bookstore 5. [94] Park MacDougald of New York shared a similar view, writing that on paper Peterson lacks the "coherence, emotional depth" of his lectures but "still, he produces nuggets of real insight. So without further ado, lets dive into some of the books Peterson thinks should have you runningnot walkingto the bookstore. He returned to Canada in . In it, he describes his own personal struggle upon discovering that his daughter, Mikhaila, had a rare bone disease. It's all very well to think the meaning of life is happiness, but what happens when you're unhappy? While you may know him from his multi-million-copy bestseller 12 Rules for Life, his viral Youtube video in which he argues with students about gender pronouns, or his controversial views on various topics shared on his Youtube channel, a few short years ago, Peterson was just an ordinary college professor. True happiness and suffering are two sides of the same coin we cant have one without the other. His book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos. As I read this book, I sincerely tried to imagine myself as a Japanese soldier carrying out the atrocities to Chinese innocents. After a childhood that left him disillusioned with both religion and politics, Peterson turned more to psychology and philosophy. 12 Life Changing Books that Destroyed and Rebuilt My Mind, Exploring the Ascent Leaving The Shire, Embracing Failure, and Getting Out of Your Own Way (Dialogues #9), The Intersection of Play, Flow, Social Skills, and Depression (HEx Dialogues #6), Remodelling Education from What to a How for Rapid Accelerated Learning, The 3 Reasons Intelligent People Still Struggle to Learn, The Aligned Human, Cultural Contrasts, + Learning Anything (HEx Dialogues #5), Managing Cognitive Complexity with the Mind Hands Hack, The Productivity Ninja Manifesto: Change Your Life One Task at a Time, Everything You Know About Speed Reading is Wrong, 21 Rules for Life from a Legendary Master Samurai, 22 Reasons You Should Undertake the Ultimate New Years Resolution, HighExistence | Explore Life's Deepest Questions 2023. His first two books, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief and 12 Rules for Life, were bestsellers and garnered him a growing list of followers. Mans Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (1946), a longer list of over 100 recommendations, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, All Bren Brown Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), Jordan Peterson Books: All Titles in Order of Publication + The 5 Top Books He Recommends, All Malcolm Gladwell Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), All Michael Pollan Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), Peter Thiel Books: A Comprehensive List of Books By, About & Recommended by Peter Thiel, All Rachel Hollis Books: The Full List of Non-Fiction, Fiction & Cookbooks, Sorted by Popularity & the Best Reading Order, All Ray Dalio Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), All Robert Greene Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), All Ryan Holiday Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), All Simon Sinek Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), All Tim Ferriss Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), All Walter Isaacson Books, Sorted Chronologically (and by Popularity), The 20 Best Entrepreneurship Books to Start, Grow & Run a Successful Business, The 21 Best Habit Books of All Time to Change Any Behavior, The 33 Best Happiness Books of All Time That Everyone Should Read, The 60 Best History Books of All Time (to Read at Any Age), The 7 Best Inspirational Books That Will Light Your Inner Fire, The 40 Best Leadership Books of All Time to Help You Become a Truly Inspiring Person, The 31 Best Motivational Books Ever Written, The 35 Best Philosophy Books to Live Better and Become a Great Thinker, The 34 Best Psychology Books That Will Make You Smarter and Happier, The 25 Best Sales Books of All Time to Help You Close Any Deal, The 33 Best Self-Help Books of All Time to Read at Any Age, The 22 Best Books About Sex & Sexuality to Improve Your Love Life & Relationships, The 30 Most Life-Changing Books That Will Shift Your Perspective & Stay With You Forever. "While you should be afraid of taking risks and pursuing something meaningful. [1], In March 2019, Whitcoulls, one of New Zealand's leading book retailers, temporarily removed the book from their stores and online catalogue, apparently in reaction to the Christchurch mosque shootings. [110], Jordan Peterson debate on the gender pay gap, campus protests and postmodernism, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, "Dr. Jordan B. Peterson Announces the Follow-Up to His Global Bestseller, "Christie Blatchford sits down with "warrior for common sense" Jordan Peterson", "What's So Dangerous About Jordan Peterson? [58], According to The Guardian, the Nielsen BookScan reported sales of over 10,000 copies until March 12 in Australia. In Affective Neuroscience, Jaak Panksepp discusses in-depth the brain-operating systems of mammals. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Demons is a story about the potentially catastrophic consequences of embodying the philosophy of nihilism, which was becoming popular in Russia in the 1860s. I couldnt put it down, and I became so attached to the protagonist, Raskolnikova murderer suffering the terrible wrath of his own consciencethat I literally began to experience his confusion, anxiety, and guilt as if they were my own. The author of 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos was a professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. ", "Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world. You read and youre pierced. Aldous Huxley. This classic is a good reminder of what can happen when governments go too far. The book does an incredible job of covering the whole range of emotions, including anger, pleasure, playfulness, fear, sexual desire, and social loss. window.mc4wp = window.mc4wp || { The Road to Wigan Pier is split into two halves. Other than that, there is no general meaning in life. Tony Robbins: "Mans Search for Meaning provides compelling examples of humanitys perseverance through trying situations. According to Jordan Peterson, youll want to remedy that as soon as possible! Since listening to Peterson I've read, in order, Crime and Punishment, Notes from the Underground, Beyond Good and Evil, and am now reading The Brothers Karamazov. Such thinking is reflected both in contemporary stories such as Pinocchio, The Lion King, and Harry Potter, and in ancient stories from the Bible. Mans Search for Meaning Viktor Frankl, 12. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley 2. This passionate, romantic novel finds us in the company of an American ambulance driver and a striking English nurse whose love is stretched to its limits by the atrocities of war. In the first part of the book, Jung focuses on dream analysis, the problems of psychotherapy, and his theory of psychological types. That should point you toward the significance of this particular book on Petersons views. Ordinary Men by Cristopher Browning is generally a real-world story based on the history of the Order Police in Germany after the holocaust. Here are the 10 Books That Made the Biggest Impact Brian Tubbs I Read 500 Books in the Last 5 Years These Are the Top 5 Sanyam Gupta 10 books. The withdrawal of the book was prompted by social media photos of Peterson posing with a fan wearing a T-shirt saying "I'm a proud Islamophobe." Ever wonder what Jordan Peterson reads in his spare time? Hope you find it helpful! If youre going through difficult times, this book will help you persist. But if you prefer evidence and reason, look elsewhere. Its also a good read for any marketer or storyteller who wants to get better at making a compelling case for others to take action and change their lives. ", Jordan Peterson: "A book that I found particularly influential in my intellectual development.". Peterson encourages people to read this book so that you can see the shadow present in human beings, and then to realize how each of us has within us the capacity of great evil. He criticized Peterson's book for failing to recognize how traditionalism and myth can be used in support of demagoguery and anti-democratic ideas, and asserts that Peterson's work is a symptom of the problems it attempts to cure. Here are all of the book lists by the author weve curated for you: Looking for more of the best books on various topics? 12 min read. Since Peterson has only published three books, weve decided to list those by publication date, then move on to some of the top and most important books he recommends. The Rape of Nanking is not for the weak stomached. You can easily navigate this list by clicking on whichever section interests you the most in the below table of contents. And, of course, the story is way more complex than that. Viktor Frankl is a survivor of the event that was set in Nazi concentration camps. Watch Jordan Peterson talk for 45 minutes on a single paragraph of Nietzsches Beyond Good and Evil here. Peterson referred to Jaak Panksepp as a genius and called him a great, creative scientist when Panksepp died in May, 2017. ", "Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today. { [78] The book reached 5 million sales by November 2020. Its a comprehensive introduction to Jungs thoughts, and its widely heralded as one of the most critical books ever written in the field of psychology. Many of his book recommendations introduce the readers to the future when the book was being written. 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos is a 2018 self-help book by the Canadian clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson. In this way, he might be seen as an heir to older gurus of manhood like Elbert Hubbard, who in 1899 published a stern and wildly popular homily called A Message to Garcia The stories in mythology can be a great help to us in making sense of life, especially when its full of suffering. "[101] Some critics, such as National Review's Heather Wilhelm[102][103] and Toronto Star's James Grainger, were critical of initial negative reviews that they believed had misinterpreted Peterson. People consider this book one of Dostoevskys best works. Best Jordan Peterson Books of 2023 - Reviews & Top Choice by Ana This book tells the tale of a future society and the worrying part of it. As always, Orwells work is timeless. As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small commission on products you purchase through Amazon, but you won't pay any additional fees. "As hard as you think your life is, it pales in comparison to Auschwitz. 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos. - Quora", "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B Peterson digested read", "Christ vs. the Crowd: My Interview with Jordan B. Peterson", "Psychologist Jordan Peterson says lobsters help to explain why human hierarchies exist do they? The word that best describes this book for me is epic because it ties together religion, myth, neuroscience, and psychoanalysis and combines those fields with Petersons deep experience as a father, husband, and clinical psychologist into something that anyone who can read can benefit from reading. Sweep in front of your own door before pointing out the street is dirty. The author argues that a major sociocultural transformation occurred from this ancient adaptive complex with the onset of agriculture giving rise to modern patrilineal and hierarchical cultures. 3) Mircea Eliade, 15. In the plot, a fictional town descends into chaos as it becomes the focal point of an attempted revolution. The story is also tracing the Nanking Massacre, which took place during the Imperial Japanese Army. Have an image of the person you want to be, then do everything you can to become that person. Showing 30 distinct works. Jordan Peterson REVEALS 10 Books EVERYONE Should Read.. If you struggle to understand some of your friends, familys, or colleagues beliefs, especially if theyre inspired by religion or ideology, this book is for you. Utterly torturous in its suffocating examination of the deterioration of the protagonist, demoralizingly tragic in its fearless portrayal of the suffering of righteous individuals, and unapologetically depressing in its vision of despair and hopelessness, the book is hardly for the faint of heart. Finn is Kobo's Bestselling Author of 2018", "Canadian Print Book Sales Stayed Flat in 2018", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers, February 18", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers, February 25", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers, March 4", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers, March 11", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers, March 25", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers, April 15", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers, September 16", "Books: The Sunday Times Bestsellers of the Year, 2018", "The 100 bestselling books of the year: from Eleanor Oliphant to Michelle Obama", "Not all he says is defensible, but Jordan Peterson deserves to be taken seriously", "Ireland's bestselling books of 2018 revealed", "Table-Hannah's 'The Great Alone' again tops U.S. best-sellers", "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos charting", "Publishers Weekly Bestseller Lists Hardcover Nonfiction", "Publishers Weekly Bestseller Lists Top 10 Overall", "Jordan Peterson's book is a bestseller except where it matters most", "Every top New York Times best-seller this year has been about Trump", "Straw Gods: A Cautious Response to Jordan B. Peterson", "The Jordan B Peterson Podcast - #61 - January 2019 Q&A", "Whitcoulls appears to have removed Jordan Peterson's books from sale", "Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life removed from Whitcoulls following Christchurch terror attack", "New Zealand Retailer Pulls Jordan Peterson Book after Mosque Shootings", "Jordan Peterson book returns to New Zealand bookshops after Christchurch attack", "Review: 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B Peterson", "Book review: 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B Peterson", "12 Rules for Life by Jordan B Peterson review a self-help book from a culture warrior", "Bill Jamieson: I've found two antidotes to our cult of unhappiness", "The gospel according to Jordan B Peterson", "Jordan B. Peterson's "12 Rules for Life" is a call to clarity in an age of chaos", "Jordan Peterson's Jungian best-seller is banal, superficial, and insidious Catholic World Report", "Review of one of the most popular books ever by a Canadian", "12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson back to basics", "Jordan Peterson doesn't go nearly far enough", "Jordan Peterson joins the club of macho writers who have thrown a fit over a bad review", "The Rush to Condemn Jordan Peterson as Racist", "Jordan Peterson's refusal to kowtow to modern liberal pieties makes him a star and a marked man", "Jordan Peterson's Flimsy Philosophy of Life: Peterson's claims about morality, reality, and the meaning of life are dubious", "Book Review: 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos Psych Central", "Commentary: The last gasps of America's outrage culture", "Exclusive: Jordan Peterson Threatened to Sue Author for Calling Him a Misogynist", "Professor Jordan Peterson threatens to sue after critic calls him misogynist", "A feminist philosopher makes the case against Jordan Peterson", 12 Rules For Life by Jordan B. Peterson: An Excerpt, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=12_Rules_for_Life&oldid=1136998457, "Stand up straight with your shoulders back. [41][74], Peterson announced the book had sold over 2 million copies (August 6, 2018),[75][76] then 3 million copies (January 13, 2019),[77] and later that work had begun on a sequel (January 2019). Jordan Peterson Here are all the book lists weve made for you so far: *Four Minute Books participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising commissions by linking to Amazon. :) I am in no shape or form affiliated with Dr. Peterson, and do NOT, as the creator of this list, automatically condone any of his ideas. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. You will read in all-too-graphic detail about how tens of thousands of women were raped, often while tied to chairs or in-front of their family, then murdered afterwards; how Japanese soldiers enjoyed removing fetuses from the bellies of fully conscious pregnant women with bayonets and flinging them into heaps; and how young men were lined up in the hundreds and decaptitated for fun in killing contests. So without further ado, let's dive into some of the books Peterson thinks should have you runningnot walkingto the bookstore. Feel free to comment with any recommendations or reasons as to which is best. Ordinary Men in a nutshell is a a historical document showing how ordinary men ended up becoming murderers under the nazi regime. 5. When discussing the value of higher education, eventually somebody brings up the point that a liberal arts education is something that helps make life worth living. Beyond Good and Evil is a classic of philosophy, asserting that humans do not simply fall into the two categories of good and evil but have the potential for both, and that we must constantly confront this potential in order to stay moral, virtuous beings. by. Treat yourself like a child youre responsible for. 12 Rules for Life precedes Beyond Order, and Maps of Meaning is a hefty and difficult place to start. Dr. Jordan B. Peterson's Book List This is a list of books that the psychologist and speaker, Jordan B. Peterson, has recommended over the years. 10 Books Every Man Must Read | We Are Superior Men 3.93 avg rating 185,332 ratings published 2018 131 editions. sort by. [61] It also topped The Washington Post's[62][63] and Reuters's US bestsellers list,[64] reached number two on USA Today's overall list,[65] and topped the hardcover nonfiction and top 10 overall category for Publishers Weekly,[66][67][68] selling over 559,000 copies by September 24, 2018. Books by Jordan B. Peterson (Author of 12 Rules for Life) - Goodreads 3) Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 11. His main areas of study are in abnormal, social, and personality psychology, with a particular interest in the psychology of religious and ideological belief, and the assessment and improvement of . ", "Tell the truth or, at least, don't lie. [30], As part of the tour, Peterson had an interview on Channel 4 News that went viral, receiving considerable attention and over 36 million views on YouTube. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. What were they thinking? The book will be released on March 2, 2021. Many people have written to me asking what they should read to properly educate themselves. He's two books, I think, right? Happiness is a great side effect. Ordinary Men - Christopher Browning 8. The second half of the book was not appreciated by many anti-socialists and moves were even taken by publisher Victor Gollancz to persuade Orwell to only publish the first half. He's got a few books and I've been kind of tentatively following JP for about a year, mostly just by being aware that he exists and by occasionally looking at this sub. ", "Treat yourself like you are someone you are responsible for helping. ", "Make friends with people who want the best for you. It's a warning to me."[6]. One of Richard Branson's top books to read in a lifetime. 12 books you should read instead of reading Jordan Peterson - Medium [42][43][44][45] According to CBC Books, it was the 4th-bestselling Canadian book of the year. Gulag Archipelago (Vol. Also, if you like self-help books in general but more (or also) appreciate anti self-help books, like The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, for example, youll like this one. Modern Man in Search of A Soul Carl Jung, 13. Crime and Punishment explores the moral dilemmas of Rodion Raskolnikov, a poor student who plans to murder a corrupt pawnbroker in order to obtain her riches, but who quickly finds out that theory and practice are very different when it comes to ethics and morality. Jordan Peterson Book Recommendations (121 Books) . According to the best Jordan Peterson books Reddit, The Rape of Nanking should be part of your reading list too. [69] In the category it replaced Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury. But I'm a little confused - is there a sequential order that his books must be read in, or..? Reactions to Jordan Peterson range from he saved my life to total crook. Hes a controversial figure, for sure, but from where we sit, we think he has good intentions. 12 Rules for Life - Wikipedia Use paradoxical intention to make your fears go away. And if happiness is the purpose of life, what happens when you're unhappy? Still, the motivations are what counts, right? Hence, we excluded it from this list. Today, were going to take a look at Jordan Petersons nine books everyone should read. It was heavily influenced by the authors of all the books listed below. To echo what Christ already wrote, Dr. Jordan Peterson ha only written two: 12 Rules for Life is for a popular, but intellectual audience Maps of Meaning is written more for an academic audience. His unique perspectives on personal growth, political correctness, and social issues are well-known. Peterson was born in 1962 in Alberta, Canada. [8], In September 2018, Peterson threatened to sue Cornell University philosopher Kate Manne for defamation after she called his work misogynistic in an interview with Vox. Lists are re-scored approximately every 5 minutes. Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky 5. It was released in 1871 and 1872 through the writers journal. He synthesizes vast amounts of neurobehavioral knowledge into a book that leaves you with a better understanding of the human mind, including yours. The second half of the book consists of a long essay on Orwells own middle-class upbringing and how his political thoughts developed. What Books Does Jordan Peterson Recommend? - Reading Book X listeners: [], Its been called his most personal offering because it deals with issues close to his heart. "[96][97][98], In a review for Psychology Today, philosopher Paul Thagard called the book flimsy and said Peterson's views fail to stand up to philosophical scrutiny. Its probably the best self-improvement book Ive ever read. Jordan Peterson | A List of Influential Books Everyone Should Read This book is an early warning for the human race. In the first half, Orwell documents his investigations into the despicable living conditions of the working class in Lancashire and Yorkshire. 0. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. Friedrich Nietzsche. Real or not, myths are often full of wisdom and offer concrete advice to better our lives. [40], The 12 Rules for Life audiobook was number one on Audible in Canada, and number three in the US. Thank you for your support. } Man's Search for Meaning Today, we're going to take a look at Jordan Peterson's nine books everyone should read. Beyond Good and Evil was a hard read and a lot of it fell flat on me. If youre tired of its X person/groups fault assertions by the media and others and crave a deeper understanding of why people do things, read this book. [79][80][81][82], Melanie Reid, in her review of 12 Rules for Life for The Times, says the book is "aimed at teenagers, millennials and young parents." He even posted a longer list of over 100 recommendations there too, which you can dive into if you feel like it. list created February 22nd, 2017 And yet, superficially at least, a self-help book containing these messages is what the Canadian psychologist Jordan B Peterson has written. August 14, 2020 In the final part, Jung talks about mans spiritual problems following World War I. Jordan Peterson is a huge Carl Jung fan, and this is the only Jung book of his on this list. [2][15][27][3] He also appeared on BBC Radio 5 Live and BBC's HARDtalk;[31] LBC's Maajid Nawaz radio show; Fox & Friends and Tucker Carlson Tonight;[20][32] ABC's 7.30;[33] Sky News Australia's Outsiders;[34] HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher;[35] and The Dr. Oz Show, among others. The Way of Men - Jack Donovan. It is "valuable for the beleaguered young men in our society, who need a mentor to tell them to stand up straight and act like heroes", Barron wrote. Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl Demons - Fyodor Dostoevsky 7. [LFQ-400] Jordan Peterson's new book surges into Amazon Top 10 after Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter and never miss out on new releases. But it's fleeting and unpredictable. Summarising it, she states: "If you peel back the verbiage, the cerebral preening, you are left with a hardline self-help manual of self-reliance, good behaviour, self-betterment and individualism that probably reflects [Peterson's] childhood in rural Canada in the 1960s. If youre worried about freedom and sovereignty, this is a great book for you. One of the key takeaways of this book is that myths might come with lots of tremendous unseen value. Aldous Huxley was a genius of incomparable talents: an artist, spiritual enthusiast, and laser-eyed observer of the human condition.