His Mohammad Rasoulof was born in Shiraz, Iran in 1972. My cousins were so much braver than me. In addition, according to the 2000 U.S. Census, Iranian Americans are perhaps the most highly educated community in the country, with household incomes that considerably exceed that of the U.S. population at large. His latest film "Mitra" is a political thriller that was released at International Film Festival Rotterdam in 2021. Marie Selva was born in Paris to an Iranian Mother and French/Spanish Father.She is an artist, film director who studied at the film school of cinema in Paris, France. The Most Visited Iranian-American Website Please fill out the form below and follow the process online, OR call us at Toll Free 888.611.5478 , or email us at info@IranianHotline.com Annual Directory Listing In 2017 she moved to Boston to finish her Holistic Psychology Degree. Throughout the film, we see love story after love story unfold new love budding between Nousha and Alex, love found later in life by Noushas uncle Saman (Maz Jobrani) and Maggie, love built over time in the arranged marriage of Ziba and Reza (Houshang Touzie), as well as the tumultuous love that comes with blending families. Yasmin Razavi: Investor at Spark Capital, previously at Index Ventures and McKinsey. The interview has been edited for length and clarity. Ive always written from the womens perspective and I like to say the men in the film are a chorus, as they should be. She was previously married to James Rubin. WebDr. He became well known when in 1969 he directed his second film, Gheisar (1969), which was considered a turning point in the Iranian cinema; he depicted the ethics and morals of the romanticized poor working class of the Croesus' Treasure (1965) genre Bahman Ghobadi was born in 1969 in Baneh, in the province of Iranian Kurdistan, near the Iran-Iraq border. He became a full-time artist in Germany where he Marjane Satrapi was born on November 22, 1969 in Rasht, Iran. Barbet Schroeder was born on August 26, 1941 in Tehran, Iran. We invite all interested students to visit our website and learn more about the program. You leave behind everything to start a whole new life. He is a producer and director, known for 99 Homes (2014), The White Tiger (2021) and Fahrenheit 451 (2018). Babak was born to parents who were both Writers and Filmmakers. Chair, Georgetown Business for Impact Initiative, Program Manager, the Family Caregiver Alliance, Humanitarian Aid and Financing reform, International Rescue Committee. WebIran has given birth to some great movie directors over the years, many of who have gone on to direct popular comedies, dramas, horror movies and more. List your business with Iranian American Business Directory! Shohreh Aghdashloo was born Shohreh Vaziri-Tabar on May 11, 1952 in Tehran, Iran. in this list or successful entrepreneurs who dont work in Silicon Valley like the world-renowned Anousheh Ansari. It really started to make me think about immigrant identity. The application deadline to take advantage of this opportunity isAugust1st, and is fast approaching. Iranian American Business Directory But yeah, I started thinking about what it means to reinvent yourself. Previously founded BUCKYoZUN a sun protection technology. And thats what this regime can never extinguish. Arman Jahangiri: Founder of ResultCare, a digital healthcare company. It looks like a Hollywood movie, but it was made outside of Hollywood.. Watch The Iranian Americans | Prime Video - amazon.com He is married to Karen Robson. IACC | IACC Robert Ravanshenas: Senior associate at Maven Ventures. He then studied Radio, Television, & Journalism at the University of Missouri Columbia. I kind of shelved the project for a couple of years and worked on the screenplay on and off. He was raised on the East Coast and graduated from UCLA's school of Theater, Film and Television in 2004. Board of Directors - Iranian American Medical Association - IAMA [2][6] He later won various awards, including the Humanitas Prize for an episode of Cagney and Lacey. He recently starred in the Netflix Global drama The Letter for the King (2020) as Sir Fantumar and the HBO/BBC series His Dark Materials (2019). More specifically, OIAC supports the 10-point plans by Mrs. Maryam Rajavi [5] for a democratic Iran that aligns with security for America and peace in the Middle East and beyond. Contributing to and supporting the careers of Iranian American legal practitioners and law students is another main objective of the IABA. I wanted something from our perspective of going back and forth, of being bicultural. When you become an immigrant, you write your own story, you decide whats your narrative. Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day. Iranian-American activist Masih Alinejad: Suspected poisonings a While at Newcastle he played American football for the UK national Nicholas Guilak was born in Houston,Texas and raised in La Jolla, California, moved to Los Angeles in 1991 and received his Bachelors of Arts from USC in Theatre, Humanities and Film. Badiyi's third and last marriage was to actress Tania Harley[6] from 1987 until his death in 2011, with whom he had two daughters, Alexis and Natasha. Of course that comes with expectations for what that life should be. It was important for me to have this character. Pouya Jamshidi, M.D. Of course, women are fighting more now with the Islamic Republic and what is going on. His quiet and composed A native of Valencia, CA, Nazanin Mandi Pimentel is a natural- Born Performer; Singing at age 5, Modeling at age 10, performing the Mozart Requiem at Carnegie Hall and acting at age 15. Film Independent Spirit Awards: Quinta Brunson, Sarah Polley, Paul Mescal and More Stars Walk the Red Carpet, Lynda Carter Reveals How Wonder Woman 1984 Cameo Inspired Her New Song, Broadways Aladdin Cancels Performance Due to Breakthrough COVID-19 Cases, Hollywood Elite Celebrate Cinema at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures Opening Gala, Guest Column: 'Turning Red' Writer-Director Domee Shi on Making Her "Magical Puberty Story", DP Darius Khondji on What It Was Like Working With Bong Joon Ho on the Highly Anticipated 'Mickey 17', Guest Column: Alec Baldwins Rust Prosecutors Should Do Their Talking in Court, Sofia Carson on Preparing to Perform With Diane Warren at the Oscars: I Still Pinch Myself, Miley Cyrus to Perform Songs From New Album on Disney+ Special Miley Cyrus Endless Summer Vacation (Backyard Sessions), Guns N Roses, Arctic Monkeys Join Elton John as Headliners of Glastonbury Festival, Novelist Julianna Baggott Launches Production Banner, Wayne Shorter, Jazz Saxophone Pioneer, Dies at 89, Star Hairstylist Jen Atkin Reveals Must-Have Hair Tools, Tutorials and Pro Tips In New MasterClass, Rihannas Puma x Fenty Is Coming Back Heres Where You Can Still Buy Those Cult-Fave Creepers, The Best Bridesmaid Dresses for Every Budget, From Under-$100 Gowns to Hollywood-Inspired Classics, BTS Army: Heres When and Where Legos Dynamite-Inspired Set Arrives Online and In Stores, The Big Lebowski Turns 25: People Didnt Get It, Jeff Bridges Recalls, How the Landscape of Native-Led Stories Has Changed Between Avatars: Were Flexing Our Sovereignty, The Definitive Voice of Entertainment News. He was honored by the Directors Guild of America for directing over 400 hours of television. Iranian American Businesses - Persian Business Directory When her family reunites for her fathers heart transplant, secrets and scandals are revealed that shed light on how Leila and her mother Shirin (Niousha Noor), with whom she has a complicated relationship, could be more alike than she realizes. She is an actress, known for Alarm fr Cobra 11 - Die Autobahnpolizei (1996), Traveling Light (2021) and Blackstone (2023). But an Iranian one? Previously founded Genius. Iranian-American Scholarship Fund Shortly after graduating from the National Audiovisual School, he made his first short, immediately acclaimed by the local critics. Soroush Ghodsi: founder of Slik.ai (a lead generation company) who is the youngest founder ever to join Ycombinator! WebDirectors 2006 Trita Parsi, President Djamshid Foroughi, Secretary Parissa Behnia Shahri Estakhry Hossein Hosseini Mohamad Navab Alex Patico, Treasurer Mojtaba Akbarzadeh Ali Dabiri Elahe Enssani Sean Murphy Source Emeritus Board members and former Executive Directors Dokhi Fassihian, August 2003-September 2005 He was previously married to Tania Harley, Barbara Turner and Gwendolyn M Dennis. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. I worked with them and I did a ton of rewriting for them, especially for Houshang, the father. He was raised in Manchester, England. An award-winning international film actress and producer, Saye has been in over 34 films and Mania Akbari was born in 1974 in Tehran, Iran. https://getbook.at/superfounders. Ive always wanted to do our great immigrant story thats so Persian, thats a mix of laughing, crying, dancing and eating! I am happy to call many of these people my friends and mentors. In the 1970s at age 20, she achieved nationwide stardom in her homeland of Iran, starring in some prominent pictures such as The Report (1977) directed by the renowned Abbas Kiarostami, which won critics awards at the Golshifteh started her acting career in theater at the age of 6 and has always kept a strong link with theater, but it was at the age of 14 that she acted in her first film The Pear Tree (1998), for which she won the prize for the Best Actress from the international section of the Fajr film Nazanin Boniadi is rapidly making her mark in both film and television. She then lucked out with Aghdashloo and Touzie, as she had always pictured Noushas parents as the two prominent Iranian actors. Perhaps his most famous work was crafting the title visualisation (i.e., the opening and closing credits) for the original Hawaii Five-O. The second I would walk in [with the tape], we would be dancing. She sang soprano with the Voices of Shiva Negar is a Canadian Actress, Model, and Producer, who rose to prominence starring as Annika Ogden in CBS Films/Lionsgate Blockbuster Movie "American Assassin" and made the short list of Variety Magazine's "10 Canadians to watch".Shiva can be seen on numerous Films and Network Television shows Taies Farzan was born in Tehran, Iran. Casselberry, FL 32707. He is married to Marianne Khondji. [3][4] Badiyi often worked with Robert Altman. Pro-choice is about having a choice. He Marjane Satrapi was born on November 22, 1969 in Rasht, Iran. She went to UCLA to study biology/ pre-medicine, but she dropped out to become a model in Japan. Sarah E. Aghassi, Esq. Maryam Ziaei & Shadi Saberi: Founders of iSono Health, backed by Ycombinator. His start in the arts came at the age of 17 with his theatrical lead in the UJ Production of "Our House" then laid dormant until his productions of two successful Los Angeles Marco Khan(lian) is a true citizen of the world. Mosaffa's mother, Amir Banoo Karimi is also a leading scholar and professor of Persian literature at the University of Tehran (UT) and the Homayoun Ershadi was born in 1947 in Isfahan, Iran. This year again, IACC is grateful for moregenerous contributions from its munificent supporterstoward IACC'scollege scholarship program. Pop culture is the way that I learned to be American. He is married to Winnie Mokri. SAYE YABANDEH is an Iranian-born Hollywood actress focused on using her platform to bring awareness to global issues and to give back to refugees and underserved children and families around the world. Directors He is a producer and executive, known for Venom (2018), Apocalypto (2006) and Zombieland (2009). No God but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam, Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, University of Illinois at UrbanaChampaign, Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies, National Security Whistleblowers Coalition, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, New York University Tandon School of Engineering, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, International Planned Parenthood Federation, Recovered: Journeys Through the Autism Spectrum and Back, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, Berkeley Robotics and Human Engineering Laboratory, INCEIF (International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance), Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, United States National Academy of Sciences, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, Center for Wireless Information Network Studies, Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics, International Society for Experimental Hematology, Stanford Technology Trading Group International, Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America, Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books, Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans, 2009 Iranian presidential election protests, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Assistant Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Institutions, United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division, National Committee on American Foreign Policy, Washington Institute for Near East Policy, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, "MIT Technology Review Innovators Under 35 Rose Faghih", "The New Face of Engineering: Faghih is Applying Her Research to Make an Impact on People's Lives [Women to Watch]", "Ghaffari, Roozbeh | Faculty | Northwestern Engineering", "Homayoon Kazerooni | Mechanical Engineering", http://www.american.edu/sis/faculty/facultybiographies/mowlana.htm, "Robotic Prostate Surgery NYC The Mount Sinai Hospital", "Jonathan Ahdout: Young Iranian Jewish Film & Television Actor", "Artist In Residence, Morehshin Allahyari", "Filmmaker Cyrus Kar Describes Ordeal of Iraq Detention", "Once Upon a Time in Iraq; Two Funds Fight Cancer ", "Bahador Kharazmi: Prince of the Underground", "Bahador Kharazmi on B.B.C Persian 7th Day", "Garage Radio Magazine Limited Edition Of Slayer's Christ Illusion To Be Re-Released July 24", "Second Coming: Slayer's 'Christ Illusion' Rises Again - Guitar World", "MAYOR GARCETTI NOMINATES VAHID KHORSAND TO PUBLIC WORKS COMMISSION", "Sheik Abdul Bashir Online World of Wrestling", "Wrestling Hall of Fame National Wrestling Hall of Fame", "Authorities Say Ali Irsan Stole Out of Greed and Murdered Out of Honor", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Iranian_Americans&oldid=1142151627, Lists of Iranian people by ethnic or national origin, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Sam Chitsaz, interventional cardiologist, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, Fellow of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Intervention, Gelareh Bagherzadeh, Iranian residing in Houston, Texas, killed in 2012 in an, This page was last edited on 28 February 2023, at 20:05. Our mission is providing and broadcasting the Iranian American events & community news, and promoting businesses. He is a cinematographer and writer, known for Man of Steel (2013), Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) and Lord of War (2005). She is half-Scottish (father) and half-Israeli (mother). Iran can now make nuke material in 12 days, Pentagon says. There were lowlights, as well, including directing the unsold pilot for Inside O.U.T., starring up-and-coming actress Farrah Fawcett and a chimp for Screen Gems in 1971. He studied sociology. I thought of the secret that did happen with my father. One doesnt have to be traded for the other. In the mid-1970s he received the Golden Ribbon of Art award from the reigning Shah of Iran. He is an actor and writer, known for Friday After Next (2002), Jimmy Vestvood: Amerikan Hero (2016) and Dragonfly (2002). 66. He began his career with still photography Marziyeh Meshkini Born in 1969 in Tehran. And I feel like any good story starts with a secret. He is a writer and producer, known for Apocalypto (2006), The Professor and the Madman (2019) and Boss (2011). Shortly after graduating from the National Audiovisual School, he made his first short, immediately acclaimed by the local critics. I think the struggle is really one of family and living up to your mothers expectations, especially, particularly when youre the only daughter. To advocate justice and equality for the Americans of Iranian heritage. Category:Iranian film directors - Wikipedia He is a writer and director, known for Two Angels (2003), L'etat de crise (1984) and Subjection (2019). At a time when Iran is experiencing so much pain and conflict, especially the women of Iran, this was a beautiful film to watch. In May 2010, Badiyi was honored at UCLA for his 80th birthday and his 60th year in the entertainment industry. It was rich with Iranian and American pop culture. She is a director and actress, known for Persepolis (2007), The Voices (2014) and Chicken with Plums (2011). * Shahri Estakhry* Nadia Farjood, Esq. He graduated from the Academy of Drama in Iran. It got us through war, immigration, language barriers, and social exclusion, she said. Its a pro-choice film in many ways. It was freedom. You know its funny, I was talking to a friend of mine who is Iraqi and does a lot of drag performances and they were saying were working on a project together Oh, do you think what were doing is gonna piss people off? And I said, You know whats so interesting, our existence is itself radical. Kaweh Modiri (1982) is a Dutch writer/ director of Iranian descent. He studied English and Theatre Studies. Famous Persian Actors & Directors So even that experience is a very split one. She was forced into leaving school. All Rights Reserved. Humor was the art of survival in my family. The son of orchestra conductor Andr Hossein, Paris-born Robert Hossein was trained at Ren Simon's acting school. Alarm fr Cobra 11 - Die Autobahnpolizei. To me, it was important that thats part of the conversation of choice. In addition to his work in films, television, radio and theater, Behrouz' performances have earned him recognition at several Sayeed Shahidi was born on February 14, 2003 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. Before awkward questions and heated comments commence, Alexs mother, Maggie (Rita Wilson), asks about the beautiful calligraphy framed on the wall. He is an actor, known for Alex Cross (2012), Unthinkable (2010) and Intelligence (2014). She is an actress, known for RoboCop (2014), Alfie (2004) and The Book of Henry (2017). Naser Taghvai was born in Abadan, Iran. Her parents were Ulf Bjrlin (a Swedish conductor and composer, known to be the world's most active opera composer during the 20th century) and Fary Bjorlin. Nicole, the daughter of two prominent Iranian-American journalists, Nader Sadighi and Shahla Arasteh, grew up in London, England.She has worked with Producer Georgia Masters (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) whom she'd worked with previously on the BAFTA nominated 'One Night Stand' starring Catherine was born in London, but she moved to California with her Iranian mother at the age of two. Dubbed as "the man of a thousand faces," he garnered critical acclaim for his role "Abu Nazir" on the Emmy Award-winning series Homeland. All Board members volunteer their time and resources. NIAC Action is dedicated to building political power for the Iranian-American community to advance peace & diplomacy, secure equitable immigration policies, and protect the civil rights of all Americans. Her first film 'The Day I Became a Woman", (a 3-episode story) attended the Critics Week category in Venice International Film Reza Mirkarimi was born in 1967 in Tehran and graduated from the Fine Arts University in Graphic Arts. He graduated in Metallurgical Engineering from Karaj Azad University. These are some of the best Iranian directors in the history of the world, so if you're a native of Iran and an aspiring director then these are people you should look up to. Leila, of course, does not get pregnant on purpose. She speaks Persian, Turkish, German, English, Kurdish. I grew up in an insular community. and then went on to get a masters degree in management from U.D. In the 1980s and 1990s, he directed episodes of Falcon Crest, Cagney and Lacey, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, La Femme Nikita, Sliders and Baywatch and Early Edition. I rewrote a lot for Nousha. As a girl, she acted in various TV advertisements. Iranian Soruosh Salehian: Co-Founder/CEO of Aeva. She is the wife of celebrated Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf. Rostami is the founder of the Iranian Academic Association (IAA), Washington DC chapter. He has been married to Shani Rigsbee since November 11, 2011. Nousha Husseini (Tara Grammy) and her Iranian family are breaking bread (in this case, nan) with her white, militant feminist boyfriend, Alex (Christopher OShea), and his family. Early in his career, he directed episodes of Get Smart, Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-O, The Incredible Hulk, Mannix, The Six Million Dollar Man, Starsky and Hutch, The Rockford Files and Police Squad!. At the age of eight, she played in "The Cyclist" directed by her father, Mohsen Makhmalbaf the celebrated Iranian filmmaker.At the age of 17, she directed her first feature titled "The Apple" and She went on to become the youngest Abbas Ali Hatami was born in Tehran, Iran in 1944. He died on August 20, 2011 in Los Ramin Djawadi is an Iranian-German film score composer known for composing the hit HBO series Game of Thrones and the Marvel films Blade: Trinity, Iron Man and Eternals. "Reza Badiyi: Prolific TV Director, Dies at 81", "THE LAST TV TYCOON: Interview with Legendary director REZA BADIYI", "Reza Badiyi, Set Record for Directing Most Hours of Episodic Television", "Reza Badiei dies at 81; prolific TV director", The Interviews: An Oral History of Television, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Reza_Badiyi&oldid=1127437729, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox person with multiple spouses, Articles with unsourced statements from May 2018, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 14 December 2022, at 18:15. He developed his knowledge of cinema by watching films at the theater where he worked as a boy, reading film criticism, and making relationships with leading film critics. A Perrier Award nominee in Darius Khondji was born on October 21, 1955 in Tehran, Iran. Board Oh, it means youre straight or oh it means you should do that. Sort by: View: 10 names 1. WebJafar Panahi (Born 11 July 1960) is an Iranian film director, screenwriter, and film editor, commonly identified with the Iranian New Wave film movement. Despite Hollywoods goals to open doors to diverse stories, Zandieh said that when she shopped the script around including to Participant, Sony and Fox everyone was basically like, We love it, but we cant really finance this because its too niche. Ali Kashani,: Founder of Lux.io (AI in food company) acquired by PostMates and now an executive at PostMates. Scholarships for the 2021-22 academic year have been awarded to 15 outstanding applicants. NATIONAL IRANIAN AMERICAN COUNCIL - GuideStar Profile The National Iranian American Council (NIAC
University Of Birmingham Admissions Contact Number, Bob Saget Sister Andi, 4 Types Of Assertions Convention Fact Opinion Preference Examples, Mini Cooper Engine Swap, Duo Message Sent But Not Delivered, Articles I