At a time like this, when not all dealers can be trusted, you need to be on guard. I work hard so my Dog can have a better life AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods, Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days, Canal Street Cutlery Collector's Forum, Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum, Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum, Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum, Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum, Knife Related Creation, Modification, And Restoration Forums. The mystery of the Jean Case Cutlery Company is at last explained, and many family photographs and recipes are included. by btrwtr Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:19 pm, Post Instead, it was supposed to be reserved for professional hunters, trappers, and guides with the experience to use a light, sharp blade in the field. Or do you just want to know the value of your knife? (159) When WWI and WWII came along, Adolph shifted the focus of the company to cater to U.S. soldiers and the Allied Forces. But there are clever reproductions that can fool you into thinking its the real thing. While some other companies have taken over the design and started to make modern versions, there is simply nothing like the older units that first came out under the original Klaas company. I have written different guides on how to date different knives to a specific era but this one is different. Theyre not like the other vintage war knives Ive dated because theyre not fighting knives. Marble first marketed this model as not being up to the same kind of hard use his Ideal was. Knives made by top companies were featured in catalogs that were either internally maintained or sent out to dealers and collectors. Camillus was also notorious for sometimes mixing up the tang stamps. Others give only a very vague date when the original Kinfolks company was making its knives and nothing more. The specific one you asked about is the one on the top or the left. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. or Best Offer. Read Next: Five Best Hunting Knives Ever Made. Shipping cost, delivery date, and order total (including tax) shown at checkout. Unfortunately I was unable to obtain any other items related to his service as they had been bought by an antiques dealer and sold prior to my getting the knife. KINFOLKS USA 1925- 40's RARE PERFECT BONE VINTAGE KNIFE $104.99 $5.55 shipping Vintage Kinfolks 330 And 333 double knife set with Sheath . Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this American cutlery dynasty are included, as well as a foreword by Brad Lockwood. Information and photo provided by Brad Lockwood and Dean E. Case. For the time that they spent here, though, they came up with some pretty great knives that collectors are after today. of Economic Development, Planning & Tourism. Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. Modern hunters will automatically question the length of the 3--inch handle, but this was intentional on the part of Brooks. There is also no proof that Case made any fixed blades before 1923, and by 1926 and up to 1932-33 all their fixed blades were made by Kinfolks. Kinfolks Founded by Dean Case, Russ Case and Tint Champlin Little Valley, New York 1925-1957 Literally founded by kin - cousins Dean and Russ Case, and Tint Champlin - the venture was to help W.R. Case & Sons and Cattaraugus Cutlery meet production demands for fixed-blade knives. By 1876, after his uncles company had to close shop due to poor sales figures, Adolph charted out a new path for himself. I paid a reasonable price on this knife given it's condition. Way cool! This isn't just a book for knife collectors. . Except for books, Amazon will display a List Price if the product was purchased by customers on Amazon or offered by other retailers at or above the List Price in at least the past 90 days. 1 bid. During the time which they made knives, the company created a long line of hunting and fishing knives. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. Find out more below. Did you recently find a Camillus knife, and youd like to know what era it came from? We are all connected through Job Case, all kin, and this book may be the history of only one of thirty-two different cutleries our family has started over our 140+ year history in the industry, but it is much more. $6.30 shipping. I have presumed that it was a 5679 L 36 that some one had replaced the grip and pommel with those from a USN Mark 1. There are variations within each manufacturer. After looking at the lead filler on the pommels of yours it is even tough to say that they could make those variations. Turner Manufacturing, Imperial Knife Company, Conetta Tool and Die, and Bren-Dan Inc. received the contracts for this run of M4 bayonets which finally ended in 1970. I purchased 2 books to give as a gift to some of the men in my family. Today, you and I are going to go through a journey that should, hopefully, help us estimate the founding date of your Kinfolks knife or what era it came from at the least. Your email address will not be published. Please try again. This does not impact the price of the item youre buying and it supports me to keep creating the content that you love. Maybe you want to buy a knife and you want to be sure its worth the price too? The Expert is a great all-around outdoor knife, but the handle on the Sports Knife is just too short. A similar issue occurs when dating the Kinfolks knife, but the chances of that error are slim. It consisted of a black horn handle secured to the tang via the use of three brass rivets. The knife is 14 5/8" in overall length, with the instantly recognizable 9 " clip point Bowie blade. There were six manufacturers: Kinfolks, Queen, Williams, Case, Ka-bar, and PAL. All had clip-point blades and a deeply-fullered edge grind (not a blood groove). The sheath has been stamped U S N but again I don't know by who or when. The book does not just contain biographies of the companies founders but also comes with up to four catalogs to aid your dating. My FIL's knife definitely isn't plated. My father-in-laws Case knife he brought back from the ETO. offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. I have noticed over the past two or so years that the prices of decent WW2 knives on ebay have more than doubled what I was paying back in 2016 and earlier. So, whats unique about the history of the Camillus knives? Powered by Invision Community, US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY. It is the aluminum guards that define Kinfolks made Case fixed blades. There were six manufacturers: Kinfolks, Queen, Williams, Case, Ka-bar, and PAL. Now, we know already that this, Read More How to Tell If A 1918 Trench Knife Is Real (5+ Unique Methods)Continue, The Case Kodiak is one of the most interesting exports from the company and continues to command a high price today. If you dont have both the repro and original side by side, you might not be able to tell the difference sometimes. Check out local knife forums where you have experienced knife collectors, enthusiasts, and users too. The CASE sheath is not pictured as I do not know what it looks like so if anyone does please share. If you have a Kinfolks knife of your own to date, you probably know that already too. However, the Case dating system also adds to the appeal and collectibility because the knives can be easily identified and dated. ${cardName} unavailable for quantities greater than ${maxQuantity}. You just think these companies would be in cities. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. $14.59. The knife was obtained from his family and they stated to the best of their knowledge it had been stored with his memorabilia since he returned in 1946. They also made some pocket knives but most were belt knives. Although I don't seriously collect knives I do have a small collection of Camillus sheath knives. Vintage Kinfolks Knife Bakelite Pommel with Sheath. Thanks! Read Next: The Total Outdoorsmans Guide to Knives. This is an interesting if somewhat fragmented collection of recollections from people who have a direct family connection to the Case Knife company and the companies that came and went before it. Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. Yep, more nice eye candy and good story thrown in for free. Just $1 per month , The history of Marbles knives and their impact on outdoor cutlery for the last 120 years, By This article appears in the July 2021 issue of KNIFE Magazine. As popular as the Marbles line was with outdoorsmen, it was their impact on the rest of the cutlery industry that really made a lasting impression. Enjoy! No matter which it is, there are a series of reasons why you might, Read More How to Determine the Value of a Knife (Vintage, Antiques & Collectibles)Continue, Your email address will not be published. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identication and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. There seems to be a problem serving the request at this time, Hunting Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives, Bowie Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives, Hunting Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Camillus Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Stainless Steel Handle Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Stainless Steel Handle Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives. Published Oct 28, 2019 6:08 PM EDT. Marble's hunting knife. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. In my cousin Dean Elliott Cases book, Kinfolks Knives A History of Cutlery and Cousins, he shows this brand being used from 1928-1933. As usual Dustin, a fine writeup on a field often overlooked by collectors. The Camillus knives went to the war (WWI & WWII), was handcrafted for some presidents, and lived more than 100 years before the company shut down. Even if there is no evidence on that, it doesnt drive down the value of these well-made, vintage knives. by johnburrell Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:49 am, Post You would often find knife collectors and enthusiasts who know a lot about these blades at knife shows. Please try again. These RARE KINFOLKS Y330 & Y333 Fixed Blade Sabre Ground Hunter Knives w/Original Tooled Leather Sheath are in EXCELLENT overall vintage condition! The knife you have is the third pattern manufactured under amendment 5679 L36A eliminating the aluminum pommel replacing it with a Resinox plastic type and eliminating the spacers to reduce cost making this model a late war expedited lower costing knife. Then came Webster Marble. In 1965, Robeson ended production of Kinfolks knives. In most of the places that Ive come across a Klein knife, it was either a military electricians knife or for another handyman. Thank you for sharing. dustin, The knife featured here was manufactured by the Kinfolks company. Show me your knife, and I'll tell you who you are. $274.99. This may be evolution, but where will this hobby go? If you dont go to knife shows, you might also have some luck with veteran knife collectors in your locale. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. 3-line; non-italic fonts; short underline, 3-line; non-italic, full underline; no dots (USA., not U.S.A.), 3-line stamp; full underline; dotted U.S.A.; italics. A German himself, and having spent enough time in the U.S.A. to know the market landscape, this business venture was not difficult for him. Originally, the deep fuller was intended to allow the blade to be laid flat on a hone and sharpened something like a straight razor. You can jump to the following sections if youre in a hurry, but I would advise that you dont skip this part. Enhancements you chose aren't available for this seller. The author, Dean Case, makes reading easy, while inviting you to visit with the next character. We are sorry. Interesting,educational,and nice knives too. In most of the places that I've come across a Klein knife, it was either a military electrician's knife or for another handyman. Show me your knife, and I'll tell you who you are. A timeline of the family and related cutleries is included for quick reference, as well as answers to the most common questions about the company from www.KinfolksInc.com. He spent the past 20 years as a woodworker and fishing guide in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Idaho, and Tennessee. I wish I could help more but this is as far as my limited knowledge can take me. Location: Central Massachusetts. After decades of feuding and parting ways to start yet another Case-related cutlery, Kinfolks saw three cousins come together to help one another. Dept. The Expert pattern is just a strong as any other knife in its general weight class when used for reasonable field tasks. By Although a part of the Case knives family, Kinfolks knives didnt have a long run in the market. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. is intended to be the most accurate history of the cutlery compiled to date. This site is maintained by the Cattaraugus County Historical Advisory Committee and the Dept. My thought was A- at some point the two were mated or B-CASE acquired the sheaths from the same supplier as Camillus, I lean towards A. This does not impact the price of the item youre buying and it supports me to keep creating the content that you love. If you have one of such knives, follow the guide above to narrow down the date or era as much as you can. The sheath also offered a stone pouch and extra holes for tying it down to a flight uniform. An area I have not as yet delved into. . The crossguard consists of two equal length arms that extend to the left and right and are terminated with circular ends. If you are a Case Knife collector this is more the backstory on the people who built the companies that made the products and less about the specifics on any era of knives. Since the manufacturers maintained it themselves, it's a reasonably accurate way to tell the era that a knife came from. In 1929, Marbles added a 4-inch-blade version of the Expert to its line called the Sports Knife. The Girl Scouts of America adopted it as their official sheath knife in 1930, and the Boy Scouts made it an alternative to the more expensive Woodcraft. Slowly at first, but with increasing momentum, the folding hunter once again became the favorite field knife of most hunters, and the Marbles patterns were considered old fashioned. By 1992, Buck had produced 11,000,000 Model 110s and was adding more at the rate of 400,000 a year. The middle one is the other variant with oval shaped liked filler. I've pretty much assumed that it is likely not a War production piece, but whether it's pre or post war I have no idea as Case used the chrome plating for a long time. Really nice knife, and to each his own, but I would not date that knife. Also note the top two with brass guards are with and without brass spacers. However, that beauty does come with some challenges in telling the exact era that the knife is from. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Alternately, you can look for Facebook groups or other social media gatherings where you can find such knife experts. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. It is knives like these that make some people on the outside question why Case knives are so expensive when they are just a great value for their money. While none are stamped Marbles, the knife remains in wide use even today. One strange side note to its history is that it was once the official sheath knife of the American Boy Scouts, from 1933 to 1940.
Tucson Country Club Initiation Fee, Aurecon Recruitment Process, Tennessee Distilling Ltd Brands, How Hard Is It To Get Into Oxford Masters, How To Cancel Getty Center Tickets, Articles K