It was the first district to officially maintain its mask mandate when Gov. He told Patch that his comfort level with the Cobb board made it easier for him to leave the district where he started his education career in 1979, teaching social studies and physical education and coaching. He and his wife Kitty have two sons, graduates of Princeton University and Harvard University, in addition to Dr. Hinojosa's son from a previous marriage who graduated from Texas Tech University. Election math can be a funny thing, but 34 percent is a lot of ground to cover between the two candidates. Superintendent of the Year: Michael Hinojosa, Dallas - K-12 Dive for the district by CTC Technology & Energy also made several high-level recommendations that were presented to the districts Board of Trustees this summer. DALLAS - The longtime superintendent of Dallas public schools is leaving his role at the end of 2022. Is Dallas becoming unaffordable due to rising housing costs, inflation and stagnating pay? In 2005, Hinojosa began his first term as Superintendent of Dallas ISD where he led for the next 6 years. Thats the news. I will be around for the foreseeable future, certainly through that date., At that point, rumors were already swirling that he was eyeing a mayoral run, but he demurred, saying that his focus was on landing this airplane in the next six months.. Wells Academy, Dr. Frederick D. Haynes, III Global Preparatory Academy at Paul Quinn College, Dr. Frederick Douglass Todd Sr. Middle School, Dr. Wright L. Lassiter Jr. Hinojosas research into the district impressed Post 1 school board member Lynnda Crowder-Eagle of West Cobb. Officers searched the area on foot and by helicopter, but they did not find a gunman. This school district from 2005 to now is in the right place heading in the right direction.. Besides, the local media is going to do a number on him at some point; you come at your own peril. Copyright 2002-2023 Blackboard, Inc. All rights reserved. Hinojosa later described the incident as his biggest disappointment.. The news came officially at a Thursday press conference, and Hinojosa submitted a formal letter to the Dallas ISD Board of Trustees. Due in part to his easygoing nature and willingness to meet both the community and officials where they are, Hinojosas six-year tenure has seen the nearly 154,000-student district recognized as one of the nation's fastest-improving school districts by the Council of the Great City Schools. She has a proven track record of raising student academic achievement while building a culture of inclusion and equity. Dallas ISD superintendent Michael Hinojosa helped beef up collegiate high schools and internships, which offer students invaluable hands-on experience. A new poll shows Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson is ahead of Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa by nine points in a hypothetical bid for mayor, but with the . Dallas ISD Superintendent Dr. Hinojosa talks departure | wfaa.com - WTSP Adamson High School where he taught classes and coached sports teams. He said: Im excited for this opportunity. 750 North St.Paul St. Additionally, he has been able to convince the community to back bond efforts to support district improvement, including a massive $1.6 billion package in 2015 no small feat even as a blue city in a red state. Steadfast andlaser-focused determination to do what's best for students helped the Texas leadernavigatepublic disputes amid an ongoing pandemic. All rights reserved. August 6, 2022. At the time, some officials speculated that Cordova was the next chief in training. Now he's leaving early, and some are wondering if a . Evan Smith, CEO of The Texas Tribune, sat down with superintendents Michael Hinojosa of Dallas, Kent Scribner of Fort Worth and Jeannie Stone of Richardson. The DMN Education Lab deepens the coverage and conversation about urgent education issues critical to the future of North Texas. In the search for more permanent solutions, the district has partnered with more than 40 education institutions, businesses and nonprofit partners in co-founding the Internet for All Coalition. Works at Guitarist for Gretel band & Exit Existence. It hasnt been perfect, and theres still a long road to go yet, but I think if you ask around the country now who are the top urban districts in the country? urban is not even a qualifier. HEB named Dallas ISD the best large district in the state a couple of years ago. The bilingual Hinojosa has worked with other urban superintendents with the Council of the Great City Schools the past the five years to make strides in student achievement and fiscal matters, according to his nine-page Cobb County application. Flores family recently told KSAT that he was an aspiring rapper and father of two boys. Hinojosa said the district will likely transition to a masks-recommended policy after that, the Dallas Morning News reported. Dallas, Texas 75201. Dr. Hinojosas recognitions include being named 2002 Superintendent of the Year by the Texas Association of School Boards and 2005 Superintendent of the Year by the University of Texas at Austin. "We heard from parents loud and clear," said Michael Hinojosa . [4], He returned to DISD, becoming interim superintendent in July 2015, succeeding Mike Miles. An item calling for an executive session to discuss the resignation of the superintendent was on the agenda, as was an item to vote on that resignation. His experience learning in a segregated DISD and working in schools impacted by the aftermath shaped his view of the districts need to address racial injustice as superintendent. Patrick Gonzales Associate Vice President for University Marketing and Communications Phone: (956) 665-3110 Email: Patrick.Gonzales@utrgv.edu Register for a user account. And the board members, once they realized that we didn't have time for a board meeting, we didn't have time to do all these other things they got over it., The support from the community has actually even gotten better, he said. Dr. Hinojosa, a proud graduate of Dallas ISD, holds a doctorate in education from the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Michael Hinojosa was born and raised in Oak Cliff and served as Superintendent of Dallas ISD twice, both times leaving years before his contract ended. Michael Hinojosa - President/ Chief Claim Officer - LinkedIn May 2016 - Present6 years 9 months. on the campus of University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. I studied everything online. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. I was very impressed with the staff and how much they were able to manage the growth of their buildings. [8] In January 2022, Hinojosa announced he would resign before the end of 2022, potentially to run for mayor of Dallas. Superintendent Michael Hinojosa also said he was heartbroken to learn a Dallas ISD student was infected with COVID-19. He was preceded in death by his parents Rafael Hinojosa and Maria Gorena Hinojosa. Thats the longest that Dallas has had a superintendent in 25 years, he said. Responding officers found Flores lying in the street, where he was pronounced dead. Seeing his rise from a kid in Oak Cliff to Superintendent in Dallas just speaks volumes to me of the Latino perseverance to make their mark, Garcia said via text. She has served students in various roles, including as a teacher, principal, assistant superintendent, and deputy chief. Dallas ISD trustee claims superintendent failed to respond to his SchoolCEO - The School Marketing Magazine Dallas most important news stories of the week, delivered to your inbox each Sunday. Pete was a Freemason, a Shriner, and a Shriner Clown named "Skittles.". She married the love of her life, Robert Hinojosa, on July 28, 1955 in Plainview, Texas. That was a period when the board bickered over and drew scrutiny from the and the . Her career has included working in diverse school systems from small to large urban settings, including Southwest ISD and San Antonio ISD. He might even decide to take up fishing or baking. MARIA HINOJOSA Obituary (2013) - McAllen, TX - The Monitor In recent years, Hinojosa pushed for the creation of workskill and early college programs in nearly all of the districts high schools. Hinojosa has been adamant that health and safety decisions should be made by local leaders, and has welcomed legal challenges to that end. Hinojosa explained why he decided not to complete his three-year contract shortly after the Cobb County School Board voted to offer him the job, as KERA's Shelley Kofler reports. His career in public education, from teacher and coach to . He also gained recognition overseeing innovative efforts that turned around failing schools, many of which were initially implemented under Miles, but were refined and expanded by Hinojosa. The live broadcast will on Love Fields Facebook and YouTube Live. Education writer (and part-time HS sportswriter) for The Dallas Morning News. While he and I have not always agreed on things, weve always worked as professionals and tried to find solutions that are good for students and employees, Honea said. Nonprofits North Texas Giving Day Elevator Pitches, Preston Hollow Crime Reports July 12 18, Summer Is For Stand-Up: Dallas Comedy Club Offers Classes, Camps, Canine Cowboys Fanatic, Jet-Setting Sisters Star in Books For Children. Why a Texas School District Is Defying the Governor - WSJ In 2008 several layoffs occurred as a budget deficit for $64 million appeared suddenly, and The Dallas Morning News stated that this damaged his period of leadership. But if someone was going to run for mayor, and if he or she needed to get his or her ducks in a row to do so, and also his or her current gig didnt allow that, one might resign on a Thursday night, right before the school district goes on break for the summer. Banks said Hinojosa is well qualified for the position, although he wondered why Hinojosa would leave such a lucrative salary and break his contract. Emily Donaldson, staff writer. At the time, he said he was drawn to the job because his son and daughter-in-law were expecting a baby and lived in that area. Internships are big too. Just months before coronavirus began spreading in the United States, Dallas trustees extended Hinojosas contract by five years, through September 2024. Dr. Michael Hinojosa served 27 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America: Dallas Independent School District (ISD) in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. Renegade Film Festival Wraps Up + Cobb Officer Involved In Crash, Girls Inc. MARIA DEL CARMEN HINOJOSA EDINBURG - Maria Del Carmen Hinojosa, 64, entered eternal rest on Friday, February 15, 2013 at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance in Edinburg. I studied everything that I could.. She stands behind the belief that the teacher is the program.. But he also said he wasnt sure what hed be stepping up to, insisting that this is not about me, and not about my future but also hinting that he wasnt retiring from the district either. Francis Hinojosa Obituary - Lubbock, TX I couldve finished my contract, he told reporters at a press conference following his announcement. Defiant Superintendent: 'How Can I Follow a Law I Believe Endangers My Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton threatened to sue districts flouting that order. Stephanie S. Elizalde, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools. After the live broadcast, episodes are available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, and Pandora. The DMN Education Lab is a community-funded journalism initiative, with support from The Beck Group, Bobby and Lottye Lyle, Communities Foundation of Texas, The Dallas Foundation, Dallas Regional Chamber, Deedie Rose, The Meadows Foundation, Solutions Journalism Network, Southern Methodist University and Todd A. Williams Family Foundation. , beginning with an initial short-term solution of just giving out hotspots to students. Dallas, Texas 75201. His career in public education, from teacher and coach to superintendent/CEO, spans more than four . For Hinojosa, two of those same sources and one other confirm he has long been considering a run for Dallas mayor. What I saw was that our team, our principals, our teachers were resilient, and that we could bounce back, Hinojosa said. The rapid spread of classroom censorship policieshasleft educators feeling targetedand students without resources. Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa confirms he's leaving role Roberto R. Hinojosa. Your email address will not be published. When disputes over mask mandates in Texas, Florida and other states garnered national headlines earlier this year, Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Michael Hinojosa's determination to stand his ground on what he believed to be the best decision for students and staff made him a de facto face of district leaders butting heads with state officials. Two weeks before that, my oldest son (Alex, 33) from a previous marriage, who happens to live in the greater Atlanta area, told me that his wife was expecting a baby, Hinojosa told the Dallas media. And when you have somebody as good as Susana Cordova bottom line is Im not interested in doing a crazy search.. Best of luck to him in his new endeavors.. 0:50. He and wife Kitty have two sons, graduates of Princeton University and Harvard University . About TISH HINOJOSA Learn More. Both will attend Ivy League schools in the fallPrinceton and Harvard, respectively. With a firm belief that education and not environment is the key to a students success, Hinojosa has led several school districts to improved student achievement. I also saw their staff, and they do everything well, Hinojosa said. Suite 2100 But you have to think she also knew the reform efforts in Denver would be at risk whenteacher-union stooges eventually took over the school board. She was awarded the UT-Austin Dr. Nolan Estes Leadership Ascension Award five times, most recently in 2022, and earned a Presidential Medal from Ana G. Mendez University. Dr. Michael Hinojosa, who served as the superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District from 2005-2011 and again since 2015, is expected to soon announce his intent to retireperhaps as early as tomorrow, according to three sources with knowledge of his plans. She is the youngest of 13 children born to two Mexican immigrants who, as stated in her song "West Side of Town," "made a good life the hard way". . All three attended Dallas ISD for a significant portion of their K-12 careers. He pointed out that when he was hired in May 2005, he was the school systems seventh superintendent in 10 years. The views expressed here are the author's own. Elementary School, Lincoln High School and Humanities/Communications Magnet, Mark Twain School for the Talented & Gifted, Marvin E. Robinson School of Business and Management at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview, Personalized Learning Academy at Highland Meadows, Personalized Learning Preparatory at Sam Houston, Raul Quintanilla Sr. Middle School STEAM Academy, Rosie M. Collins Sorrells School of Education and Social Services at Yvonne A. Ewell Townv, School for the Talented and Gifted at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center, School for the Talented and Gifted in Pleasant Grove, School of Health Professions at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center, School of Science and Engineering at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Center, Sudie L. Williams Talented and Gifted Academy, Thelma Elizabeth Page Richardson Elementary School, Thomas L. Marsalis Elementary STEAM Academy, West Dallas STEM School Program at Pinkston, William B. Travis Academy/Vanguard for the Academically Talented and Gifted, Young Mens Leadership Academy at Fred F. Florence Middle School, Young Womens STEAM Academy at Balch Springs Middle School, Leonides Gonzalez Cigarroa, M.D. That action started a state-mandated 14-day comment period, and the board is expected to make the hiring official at its next meeting June 8 at 8:30 a.m. "I'm certainly flattered and honored that they would seek me out for this position, Hinojosa told the Dallas media Thursday night ina news conference, posted online as a video by the Dallas Morning News. Michael Hinojosa | Speaker | ASU GSV Summit Former DISD Superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa May Be Dallas's Next Mayor Hes a very nice guy but has a not-small ego. He was born on July 18, 1943, in Detroit, Mich. Cordova has education chops. In 2022, he received the Champion of Science and Medicine from the Dallas County Medical Society. While Hinojosa so far hasnt announced a run for office, the timing of his departure is curious. At the time, Hinojosa suggested superintendents and doctors had been hung out to dry by bans on school mask mandates in several states. He and his wife Kitty have two sons, graduates of Princeton University and Harvard University, in addition to Dr. Hinojosa's son from a previous marriage who graduated from Texas Tech University. We had a CVS-receipt of a mayoral ballot with 10 candidates in 2019. Eliu Misael "Michael" Hinojosa (born 1956) [1] was the superintendent for the Dallas Independent School District (DISD) and formerly superintendent of the Cobb County School District. Dr. Michael Hinojosa has served for over 25 years as a superintendent/CEO of six public education systems, including two of the 25 largest school systems in America, Dallas ISD in Texas and the Cobb County School District in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. Exclusive: Hinojosa speaks on why he's resigning (but not retiring Dallas ISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa was supposed to stay with the district through the end of 2022 to help his successor learn the ropes. Behind the Mic - LinkedIn At the time, some officials speculated that Cordova was the next chief in training. Enjoy unlimited access to all of our incredible journalism, in print and digital. Michael Hinojosa Will Leave His Job Early. I didnt want to turn down the opportunity to talk to them, and when I talked to the board, I felt very comfortable.. Dr. Michael Hinojosa - NETA 2023 Hinojosa and his wife, Kitty, a high school English teacher, have two grown sons, Taylor, 18, and Michael, 20. But just as a schools success is quite dependent on the quality of its principal, so too is a districts success dependent on having a sane superintendentwith a strong spine. In January, he was equally cagey about that potential run. His departure, though, was preceded by controversy. Dallas, TX 75201. "During 1.0, I don't know if people wanted us to succeed," Hinojosa said. This post was contributed by a community member. [4] Under his first term, DISD absorbed the Wilmer-Hutchins Independent School District (WHISD) and a school bond for $1.35 million was successfully implemented. And I think that is a skill that is hard to replicate. He is no longer here, but I am alive. Michael Hinojosa, Ed.D., Superintendent, Dallas Independent School District.Dr. That student goes to J.L. He'd also led the district from 2005-2011.
Waitrose Interview Process 2020, Ironton Tribune Indictments, Eddie Nestor Wife Lisa, Ctsfo Fitness Requirements, Hardest Things To Make In Little Alchemy 2, Articles M