Like, oh man, you got to get your act together. Nov 3, 2020. And then I execute on that, Gucci's clear, Thumper's clear, and then guess what happens? I'm not going to be distracted by the fight I got with my spouse earlier this morning or about the kids that are waiting there. I really do. block. That's the beautiful part is why we can give back now to so many people. Don't you wish you would've had that back when you were doing all these crazy maneuvers. Having developed a strong bond with his opposing solo, Ken Switzer, for the 1992 season, the two explored implementing new maneuvers including the Section High Alpha Pass and the Solo Section Take-Off. To me, that's a feeling statement. John Foley:It makes a big difference. But then it gets very specific. joined the Blue Angels in 1990, served as the narrator, the. All Rights Reserved. The popular Blue Angels plan to be at Chattanooga's Air Show next Oct. 28-29. There must be a lot of things like that, that you've really tried to take with you from being a Blue Angel. I do that through meditation in the mornings. Ending Tuesday at 3:15PM PST 1d 19h. John has performed these death-defying stunts for . Show notes can be found at nobarrierspodcast.com. Today, Foley is a high performance keynote speaker that helps both corporations and individuals reach their full capabilities through lesions he learned while flying with the Blue Angels. Erik Weihenmayer:Or you get internal with yourself and you start making mistakes or something, like how pitchers in pro baseball get in a slump or something. Anyhow, the bottom line is, to answer your question, JB, is I've been doing decent. Vintage James Kent LTD | Old Foley . The Refrigerated Foods Association (RFA) is excited to announce the keynote speaker for their 41st Annual Conference & Exhibition in February, 2022: John Foley. There are few examples where this is more dramatically demonstrated than with the Blue Angels. John Foley:Yeah. It's not a long diatribe, right? As lead solo pilot of the heralded Blue Angels, keynote speaker John Foley had to consistently perform as part of team in an intense, high-stakes environment. You do, in a way, you have to, I don't know, maybe you have to suspend the gushy parts because you've done all that hard work. Success is a funny word. PENSACOLA, Fla. - The U.S. Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels, released their 2023 air show schedule at the International Council of Air Shows convention, Dec. 7, 2021. That's nobarrierspodcast.com. John Foley is a former lead solo pilot of the Blue Angels, Sloan Fellow at Stanford's Graduate School of Business, entrepreneur, venture capitalist, leadership expert, speaker and Gratitude Guru. Get the best deals on Staffordshire Old Foley when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. The Blue Angels is a flight demonstration squadron of the United States Navy. I mean, I do fly for fun, but it's no big deal. We're going to cross within a wingspan, right? Erik Weihenmayer:Does the glad to be here, the gratitude somehow abate or change the game on the pressure of high performing people? Foley, the former lead solo pilot of the Navy's elite Blue Angels shares their process and mind-set for achieving the highest level of performance. Then after that, and I would say that's more the touchy feely part. Every morning, I wake up, I've trained my brain to wake up happy. In this insightful program, he emphasizes the development of trust and respect among team members as essential to execution, and demonstrates proven ways for teams to achieve deep levels of trust. When that canopy came down, I'd be curious to see what you guys use, and you felt the canopy lock. John Foley:Then you reverse engineer why it worked, and then put it in a way that other people can access it. First, is just being aware, is am I operating from fear? I mean, clearly, you know what I want to do, I want to sit around a campfire with you and sip on just a little snifter of some good bourbon sometime. I'm in the jet, my opposing solo's coming at me at a thousand miles per hour closure. Yeah, and let me tell you the story, is my dad was an army officer and he took me to an air show when I was 12-years-old. John Foley:At some point, you become a Blue Angel, and we take our pilots from the instructor ranks. Fortunately, I have a lot of video of me in the briefing rooms and the debriefing rooms and actual flying. He was saying two and a half years of pilot training, all the stuff I've been through, if you can't land a jet on an aircraft carrier at night, you're no good to the Navy. Did that answer your question? I've recreated my whole career two decades ago. Glad To Be Hereoffers apurpose greater than self, which galvanizes people and focuses individuals and teams on WHY they do what they do. So, coming around, and I go down again a third time, bolter again. John Foley:All of a sudden, telephone poles are going by quickly. Like me, I'm going to be thinking of you guys' faces, I'm going to be thinking about this conversation. As I contemplate the trajectory of, say my climbing career, my speaking career, the things that I do with my family and everything, I contemplated a whole lot more because all those marbles in the jar, there's just fewer of them. But you're exactly right, that's exactly the zone I'm in when I'm in a maneuver. Because my mind is starting to take over my body. - John Foley, Blue Angels. We've acquired all these things, and now we want to give it to you, and to you, and to you to be a better version of yourself. Scared to me means I'm aware, I'm present. By visiting this website, certain cookies have already been set, which you may delete and block. But you put in like 200 hours, not 10,000 hours. You surprised me in so many different ways, but I wouldn't imagine that glad to be here, other than just the realization like, holy, man, I lived through some things. It's hard to even remember exactly what happened, but in kayaking over 10 or 12 years, now and then, I would feel time slow down, and I could actually focus on my heartbeat. The foundation of elite performance is the . Do you sort of put a flavor of that pocket into your personal practice as well as the way you teach it? How did he get there, what happened after that, what lessons did he learn along the way, and what discoveries he continues to make today? Well, they go slow. Well, so, how do you teach that though? John Foley:If I'm operating from fear, and there's sometimes, it's important to know, like it's easy to kill yourself. But I would say first off, Erik, we were making tons of mistakes flying. John Foley:Yeah. He says, "You know those orders to the midway? More like this. Jeff:Number one question would be, were you the one who said it's time to step away from the teams, or did they say, we need some new blood in here? Copyright 2023 Collaborative Agency Group, John Foley | Performance and Leadership Keynote Speaker - Collaborative Agency Group, John Foley | Performance Beyond Blue Angels Keynote - Collaborative Agency Group, JOHN FOLEY| Teamwork Speaker - Collaborative Agency Group. That was the basketball team, not the football team, but it's still the athletic department. We call it a brief room, but really, it's mental preparation before we go flying. Because they probably know it anyhow. My name is Erik Weihenmayer. You don't want a whole bunch of safeties. It goes, woo. John Foley:Yeah. I know it'll happen. John Foley:But what's interesting is that if you expand that time out, because in between each maneuver, we have communication. With what you just said, what I generate the most fulfillment and happiness in my life is not that I physically climb the mountains anymore or fly the jets, it's that I can share that in a way that benefits others. It was during this same time period that Foley attended a Blue Angels air show and proclaimed to his father that one day he too would be a military aviator. I want to know first off, are they even aware? They have more to win. So Nick Saban and Alabama brought me in a few years ago. The momentous visit served as a way to ease tensions between the once Cold War rivals. That's the crowd part. This goes quick. I remember, I had to think that night had to do some self-reflection and not get overwhelmed, and just realize, you know what? The Navy's really good about debriefs, and the LSO, landing signal officer, walked in that day and he goes, it was very clear, he goes, Gucci, Gucci's my call sign. Then you actually back out, you stabilize and you come back in. Jeff:Because by the time this airs, everybody's going to know, so let's see what the forecaster is. His message and personal stories, delivered with his trademark enthusiasm and charisma, emphasizes principles of trust, alignment, clarity and commitment, positioning individuals and teams to achieve and sustain higher levels of excellence than they ever dreamed possible. But the point is that-. It's about sharing it with others so that their dreams can come true. But the point is that I used the canopy coming down. I feel grateful and a lot of pride for the men and women who are doing that. I've spoken to all three, both teams and the officials. Not, you were off by one degree or 0.1 degree. Now you can go straight precision, straight clinical once you're in that moment. Didrik Johnck:The production team behind this podcast includes producer, Didrik Johnck, that's me, sound design, editing, and mixing by Tyler Cottman, marketing and graphic support from Stone Ward, and web support by Jamlo. That you were appreciative of or that you enjoyed. John Foley:Well, now here's the challenge I have. That's just something I don't want to do. I'm actually seeing things in frames. It causes stuckness. It evolves over time, but we need that pocket. Maybe we as humans sort of divide those. Maybe he didn't understand he was out of parameter, right? They're not going to be the Blue Angel necessarily, right? Now, what's interesting is, as I was just thinking about the evolution of a trigger, I remember climbing in the jet. That's what's really interesting about, really the military as a whole, but definitely the Blue Angels, is we just keep raising the bar. I'll go off there to get very clear on how long I can hold my focus because I need a break. I'm not. Aboard the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) Foley and VA-22 deployed to the Western Pacific, Mediterranean and Indian Ocean in 1986 and later to the Persian Gulf in 1988. Let's take that even to the next step for somebody who's perhaps not a climber or an aspiring pilot or an athlete, or in any way, but is someone who gets up, puts their pants on, brushes their teeth, and goes, and knuckles down at work for a 10 hour shift. You're just to land the jet, and then, it's a definitely step by step approach and lots of hours go into it. What does John Foley suck at? It builds confidence, and your teammates go, okay. But the point is, is there's a lot more that is intangible, that sits within us, and that's exactly what you captured right there. You've really tapped into it, and I think this is good news for everybody, right? I could sense the space between my heartbeats. I know you do and facilitate, you do personally, but also facilitate a lot of breathwork and meditation with clients, and you do it yourself. Then just this year, Georgia brought me in. Here's what's interesting. Vintage Pair of Old Foley James Kent White Plate with Red Floral and Bird Pattern 10 Inch Plates. I think if you were to ask Erik and I, when we were 15 years old, do you want to ascend to the highest climbing level and climb Everest? Here's the difference. I'm not sure if most people can get their heads around what that looks like. Then here's the last thing, and I'll do this for any leader is go, or anybody really, go forward in your day, and I use my calendar, but think about others, not just yourself, and think about, how can I show up in a way that helps somebody else. I had an entrepreneurial company, and the first one blew up. My hope is that those four words will have a deeper and richer meaning to everyone who reads this article. That's the way you find that flow. However, after receiving his Wings of Gold in 1984, and in alignment with the needs of the Navy, Foley would initially be assigned to Attack Squadron 22 (VA-22) flying the A-7 Corsair II. Mentors come into our lives when we're young, especially for me, it was obviously my dad, and then people I never met, like accidental mentors, like Terry Fox, who was an amputee who lost a leg to cancer and decided he was going to run all the way across Canada, thousands of miles, and he inspired a whole nation. Coming out of the new Top Gun; Maverick movie and I'm emotionally moved. Then the same thing in fear, let's use business as an example is, am I going to start my new digital course? I break it down to four things, glad in this statement, first off means, that's to be grateful, to be appreciative. What I think the key is, is can you call that up on demand? I'll get back there, if I'm still alive, I'll sign some autographs. John Foley:But you get a chance to voice that. It's perhaps like you have to have this veneer that exists to keep you in that pocket. So, we have the rotation that's planned. I believe, in all our jobs, we got to paint the picture of what the extreme looks like first. So, the idea of calling somebody out is not the first stage. Erik Weihenmayer:You thunk yourself out of it. You finally get in the airplane and that's totally different. The Blue Angels Foundation's mission is to support wounded veterans and provide a path of transition back to the . During a typical performance, there are six jets in the air. At first, you're like, I wouldn't say you black out, but everything goes by so fast. John Foley:Now, if I get outside of those parameters, let's say I move three feet and I don't clear the formation, but when you move that far off, you have to get out of the way because you're not stable. To be present with you guys right now. At a recent sales kick-off, I had the pleasure to listen to John Foley (call sign Gucci) who was a Naval Aviator, Blue Angel pilot and Stanford Business School graduate. This is what it was, everybody, we ran around the table, and it started with the boss. The way I do that is I just say, when my eyes open up, the first conscious thought that hits my head, I just go, what am I grateful for? They believe in process. You can't do it forever. I'm a emergency room PA. It was really awesome. And I'm going to say, wow, that was a really awesome conversation. The fifth and sixth jet fly in solo formation. It's not happening. I had done really well in all the other phases, and this is the last phase. Foley demonstrates a simple, systematic, yet exciting approach for how to develop the clarity, focus, commitment, and trust that are necessary to achieve ever-higher levels of performance. Well, absolutely. Scared to me means I'm aware, I'm present. We proudly represent the heritage, agility, flexibility, and. John Foley:Yeah. John Foley:I mean, that's what saying. Happy 2022 everyone. There's a lot of crowds trying to get in there, the parking. Special thanks to The Dan Ryan Band for our intro song, Guidance. John Foley:I know how to do that. I'm going to send you out tomorrow night and you better show me something. Erik Weihenmayer:John, you guys were talking about these parameters, but how big of a can you make? I'm coming down for the shoot for my first night landing, and it goes okay. I'm scared all the time. I know there's difficulty and I'm aware of it. And there's three tools. Jeff:Okay. As a Blue Angel, John consistently performed in an extreme, high-stakes environment, flying at speeds of more than 500 miles per hour in formations as close as 18 inches apart. John Foley:No, 100%. You can actually smell the smoke oil in the air. When you get selected for the Blue Angels, you have either a two year tour or a three year tour, and then you know that you will be reassigned to another Navy squadron, and it just won't be the Blue Angels. I don't have those all the time. John Foley:Yeah. It's something that defines who you are and your impact in the world. I've been doing trauma for a long time. I remember thinking to myself, I'm going to do that. There's a lot of opportunity here. What was that like for you? To answer your question, from the ground, we've had spectators, they go, "Looks like you guys aren't even moving." It starts with giving. They also, Kirby Smart, he worked under coach Saban, so I actually think George's favorite. He demonstrates how learning to focus prepares individuals for action and increases successful outcomes. I flew at 500 miles per hour in formations nearly 18" | 18 comments on LinkedIn That's the first part of the question. But it was a dream that I remember in my heart. Is that what I think the states that we got into, no one taught me how to visualize. 109K views 5 months ago Blue Angels Podcast In what was once thought to be an impossibility, the Blue Angels made history in 1992 by becoming the first United States flight team to fly over. If I'm complacent, that's what I got to worry about. I think it's a blessing to have parents, and my mom too, in a different way, but they taught me integrity, and just trying stuff, not to be afraid to fail. Thatsthewayukshop. I still remember this to this day as we're talking, I can visualize it. I had the privilege this week to hear John Foley, former lead solo pilot for the Blue Angels flight demonstration squadron, as one of the keynote speakers at a technology conference I was attending. For me, it's this purpose larger than self. For nearly 20 years, I was a commander in the US Navy and became Lead Solo Pilot for the Blue Angels. Welcome to our No Barriers podcast. I was doing it before them. I got this meeting after this. The bottom line is I knew how it worked, I knew how to do it, but I didn't know why it worked now. It was in Newport, Rhode Island place called Kwanzaa Point. I'm going to guess ask, were you doing breathwork and meditation when you were with the Blue Angels or is this-. Erik Weihenmayer:I just imagine that the heart piece might almost get in the way. Every organization depends upon the performance of their people and their teams. John Foley:Oh yeah. I'm not waiting to see if the boss's airplane moves or not. JB, you're exactly right. He retired from active duty after 27 years of distinguished service and joined Check-6, a global leader in optimized performance and safety solutions serving the most demanding industries, where he directed business development and corporate strategy for the North American Division. I have all this. This is built around tactical or strategic CenterPoints. Let's bring it out. Jeff:Yeah. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. To answer your question, is I definitely believe we can't multitask. John Foley:Yeah. [1] Formed in 1946, the unit is the second oldest formal aerobatic team in the world, after the French Patrouille de France formed in 1931. So, they've proven that. I'm constantly having fun. John Foley:I'm just going to reinforce that in my body. We go around the table and everybody first gets a chance to say that, the general safe. He did a couple tours in Vietnam. James kent/Old Foley rare vase blue and guildid all over Chinese scene 9.00 1 bid 6.45 postage 1d 13h James Kent old foley jug 6.99 Click & Collect 2.75 postage or Best Offer Vintage James Kent 'Pompadour' china Set 4.00 1 bid 5.20 postage 2d 11h Vintage James Kent Dubarry Chintz Fluted Floral Bowl 15.00 Free postage or Best Offer He drives home his message with dynamic videos of his adrenaline-pumping performance with the Blue Angels. That's one of the rare professions that, that's true. Where is it? I had that. Jeff:Yeah. John Foley:Yeah, you got it. The famed Blue Angels regularly take to the skies for maneuvers that bring their jets within mere feet of each other. Jeff:You got nervous, you and I have known each other for decades, you got nervous a few months ago playing in front of me. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Local officials had. This exhilarating film showcased the almost unbelievably intense reality of being an elite pilot in the military. Jeff:I know. It's not happening. Then I try to get outside, I look up and I say, can I get into my body? It was some of those things that you talk about. Just stop in the present moment because your mind's taking you somewhere where you don't want to go. John Foley:I like to put a nuance in there, Erik, and that's about being scared. I've been doing this for about six months now, learn, grow, give. John Foley Inc. and The Glad To Be Here Foundation asked where $10,000 could help others in a direct and imminent way during the pandemic. Can you actually call your own mind on demand to be in that state, and for how long can you hold it? John Foley:Oh, well, tons of them. I think about you guys, when you decided, I want to climb, something clicked in my heart. I remember, Mark, 12-years-old, my dad took me to an air show. You're not having debriefs where you say like, "Okay, let's talk about our feelings and sing kumbaya.". I think the challenge tonight is that Georgia got their asses handed to them by Alabama, right? Oh, it's simple for me. You get better and you move on and you share that information with somebody else. Grounded by his commanding officer and his letter of recommendation revoked, Foley openly shared his lessons learned from the mishap during his interview with the Blue Angels and was selected as the Teams narrator for the 1990 air show season. You're just trying to survive the airplane. But again, that was just academics. John. He shows how to create buy-in and commitment for a teams vision and goals, leading to clarity that drives execution decisions. Thanks so much and have a great day. Like, I was thinking about the folks that work for Apple or something, and they invent the iPhone, and Steve Jobs is hard as hell on this team. I had a team briefing this morning. Foley would enjoy a three year tenure with the Blue Angels that would see him progress from the teams narrator to a position in the demonstration as a solo pilot. You know it, every kid does it better than us. The point is, I want to know just your general feeling. Full stick deflection, roll, ready, hit it, roll. I have what I call my glad to be here wake up, and a glad to be here reboot. I'm not doing it as a career. Erik Weihenmayer:How do you elevate people's belief levels? By visiting It's at an angle. Go join the Air Force. Keep going. I think that's it in a nutshell, right there. What's wrong? Then the debrief, what you're specifically asking about, which I think is really critical, is we go through stages, right? John Foley draws upon his experience as Lead Solo of the Blue Angels to inspire audiences and show them how to achieve substantially higher levels of performance. I mean, there are people who can teach breathing and meditation effectively, that have been doing it for years and years. That was a big leap. That means you're not in position. Generally, how did I feel? John Foley:I just said, holy cow, I can do this because it's a value to others. I come down, I get waved off. Glad To Be Here Debrief Program - Digital Book. Part of the equation is diving into the learning process and trying to illuminate the universal elements that exist along the way. The significance of these events were not lost on the Blue Angels Lead Solo Pilot, John Gucci Foley, who joins this episode of Blue Angel Phantoms to share insights and behind the scenes stories from that now famous 92 European tour, as well as his naval career that spanned 17 years and saw him ascend to the rank of Commander. I'm okay with being scared. I mean, it's just not meant to be. I didn't say that day, I hope to do that. Reaching that level of excellence required commitment, discipline and trust. You're not good enough.". Instead of talking about the psychological stuff behind it, I said, here's what I was thinking, here's how we used it, and here's how we can turn it into success for you. Erik Weihenmayer:Jeff, Imma slap you on the back. For me, I do it with video. Team Oneness Visit our updated, This website requires certain cookies to work and uses other cookies to help you have the best experience. That's exciting to me. $ 30.00. I'm okay with being scared. Now, for me, personally, so when I left the team, it was not a big deal. But you add in bad weather on a ship. But we're only moving, hopefully between three and six inches, not feet. Never will because of the nuances in it. They say like, "I put in six years, but it was the best six years of my life in certain ways." Jeff:All right. Is that Jeff:That's maybe what the difference is. 01:18:45. You're flying small prop planes. I'm going to be proactive. I never met him, but he was a huge mentor. I'm not a pilot anymore. To survive in those circumstances he relied on a culture of high trust, leadership and teamwork. What I've learned is, it's like two sides of the same coin, operational excellence, process, briefs, debriefs, preparation, focus, trust, and then you add in this glad to be here mindset. Number one, Alabama, Nick Saban, that program is probably one of the strongest programs I've ever seen. An 18 year journey that began after a visit to an airshow as a young boy peaked when he was selected to join elite Blue Angels squadron. You know what I mean? John Foley:Well, guys, I want to say the honor's mine, and the thanks are for you. What's hard is to be aware of the situation. Yeah, me too. John Foley:It wasn't about calling out somebody yet. In Good Condition. We actually do what we call a general safe. The other new members include an events coordinator, a C-130J Super Hercules pilot, an aviation maintenance officer and a flight surgeon . It's not even in your control. I was actually told this that we have 65 frames a second. True to his word, Foley applied to the military academies but was initially rejected for having too much protein in his urine. In the briefing room, you're going through their procedures, very scripted. John Foley:What I realized with all science that's out there on gratitude and appreciation is just how powerful that mindset is for performance, how you can actually increase performance with this mindset. You're not doing this. Then we give it away. That's where you go, okay, what is it going to take to get to where I want to go? Part of it is because I haven't put the work in. John is a former lead solo pilot of the Blue Angels, a Sloan Fellow at Stanford School of Business, a top rated Keynote Speaker to over 1500 organizations worldwide, 'Gratitude Guru', bestselling author and expert in the "how" of high performance teams. I want to appreciate it. You have this interesting mindset around focus and how it's really Is it hard to multitask, or we think we're multitasking but we're really not, we're really focused on one thing at a time? For me, the glad to be here has really been the essence of what I've been learning about and trying to teach for the rest of my life here.